s/s main gear conversion

Started by blacklab, June 06, 2013, 10:49:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blacklab

hi every one.
    well as mentioned ive managed to purchase a 113h 4/0 and a 114 6/0 from the 70's, never had lne on them , in there original boxes etc.
  so im swapping out to the carbon tex drag washers, and as ive been reading, it pays to swap out the main gear sleeve to stainless steel, hope I got that right. so I contacted electromate over there in the u.sa. who came back with a $79 price for each.  does that sound right to everyone ?
  plus, what part numbers would I need to give them, if indeed there is a difference between the 6/0 and the 4/0 special, both are the maroon coloured side plates.
  and do you think that these upgrades alone are enough to bring it into the 21'st century ?
  my original 113h 4/0 special has really served me well, stock standard, with some good size kingfish around 50-70 1b mark, I love them. but I intend on using the 6/0 next tuna season, along with my internationals.
your thoughts gentleman  ?

regards
colin
australia

BMITCH

Colin, the 6/0 I believe I also got through Electra mate or maybe capt.harry's in Florida. Price sounds a bit high, but that was a couple years ago. The 4/0 Alan may have these still. You would need to check with him. The only other thing you could do is to upgrade the gears to the SS type that black pearl sells. These are REALY nice. You could also upgrade the frames on both of these if your wallet/significant other doesn't have any issues with it. Handles are also another upgrade that can be done. Not to mention rod clamp, side plates.... The list is pretty long. Not that any of these are absolutely a must. The stock reels fish just fine. Hope this helps.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

blacklab

hi bob,
           ok,  so these can be a money pit.  LOL
its a bit of a passion for me these reels, not that im by any means an expert, just fished with one for many years.
I suppose because with the 113h, I changed out the std drag to a 5 drag system from memory, and read that if you do that it pays to upgrade in side with stainless.  im presuming it was the gear sleeve ?  i'll have to research thru some of the posts here to see where I read it.
   my new/old 113h 4/0 wont get put thru to much,  but as mentioned, ide love to hang the 6/0 over the back for next seasons tuna fishing.
  maybe I might go the whole hog on that one, as ive got 12 months to play with it.
     couldn't believe my luck stumbling upon both of them, were from a deceased estate, so someones bought them left them in the box and forgotton about them for 40 odd years.
   well I might read thru all the different posts, so I can try to understand what questions I need to ask about upgrading.
regards
colin

BMITCH

Colin, there are many here more knowledgeable in these than I am. I'm sure more will chime in as this goes on. You can throw a lot of money at these reels but that's the fun of it right? Good luck and hope it turns out well. If there is any way I can assist you let me know.
Bob

Keta

Quote from: blacklab on June 06, 2013, 10:49:25 AM
so I contacted electromate over there in the u.sa. who came back with a $79 price for each.  does that sound right to everyone ?

If he has them Alan's are much cheaper.

For my "needs" I narrow them, put in SS gear sleeves, Carbontex CF washers and new handles.  High speed gears are good if you need them. 

I have a small run of SS handle arms that work but I want to make minor changes before making them available.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

If the handles are not loose where the gear sleeve is not rounded, I'd just fish them and use your extra money to fish.

If you need to replace the gear sleeve, I'd go with SS.  Alan does have them in stock.  I'm not sure of the prices as it has changed slightly since he is now selling them as a kit.  Kit?  Yes, he also provide with a SS dog and Carbon Fiber drag washer under the main gear.  Send Alan a PM and he'll get those out to you promptly.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

BMITCH

Lee. SS arms :D :DCount me in when they become available.
Bob

alantani

i have a 113h "kit" that includes a $25 113h stainless steel gear sleeve, a $2 carbon fiber drag washer that goes under the main gear, and a $3 stainless steel dog from keta.  it ships for $30.

i also have a 114h "kit" that includes a $30 114h stainless steel gear sleeve, a $2 carbon fiber drag washer that goes under the main gear, and a $3 stainless steel dog from keta.  it ships for $35. 

for now, just get a complete carbon fiber drag set, grease the drags and call it done.  you will likely be fine for many years to come.  don't spend money if you do not have to.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

blacklab

thanks for all your responses guys, great.
and thanks alan, I will do that.  but great to know whats available for upgrading.
thanks again.

p.s   what a great forum,  well done everyone.  sure beats reading the doom and gloom in the papers !!

regards
colin

Shark Hunter

I agree with Bryan just to fish them, but I am not one to settle for stock with all the fine upgrades available right here! ;)
I would definitely get the stainless sleeve kits from Alan. You are not going to beat that price for such an awesome upgrade! They are a lot stronger than the brass ones that are in your reels now.
Black pearl has a 4:1 ratio stainless helical cut gear set for the 113h on here for about 50 bucks I think. These Main and pinion gears are the best! He has ones for the 114h as well being made.
With those upgrade alone, your reels will be much more robust and can take a much bigger fish to his knees! ;D
You can get the complete carbon fiber drag kits with washers from Mystic Reel Parts. They are very knowledgeable and ship quick! A HT-100 5 stack is way better than the three disc setup you have.
I am not affiliated with any of these people. I just love my reels. ;D Good Luck! :)
If you really want to go nuts! You can make them look like this! :P

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Life is Good!