replacing original drag with carbotex

Started by spearo776, June 07, 2013, 07:18:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spearo776

hi repairers, have an older penn inter 30t with the older disc brake type of washer and have encountered an unreliable drag. I have plenty of carbotex sheet and wonder if I can chisel off the older material , sand back the plate to a smooth even surface then add the carbotex??
maybe have to add 2 as to get the required thickness.
also should I glue these to the plate the original was on?? or leave to rotate, may cause other problems if left to rotate I suspect.
have previously cleaned and cals greased the original, but lost a good tuna in excess of 300lb earlier this week >:(, hence the drag overhaul.

Bryan Young

Quote from: spearo776 on June 07, 2013, 07:18:13 AM
hi repairers, have an older penn inter 30t with the older disc brake type of washer and have encountered an unreliable drag. I have plenty of carbotex sheet and wonder if I can chisel off the older material , sand back the plate to a smooth even surface then add the carbotex??
maybe have to add 2 as to get the required thickness.
also should I glue these to the plate the original was on?? or leave to rotate, may cause other problems if left to rotate I suspect.
have previously cleaned and cals greased the original, but lost a good tuna in excess of 300lb earlier this week >:(, hence the drag overhaul.
Are your drags the type that is glued on an aluminum plate or the one that has a floating round drag disk that sits between the reel drag plate and the pressure plate?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

spearo776

glued on bryan. I think it will be fine if I add 2 washers to get required thickness and glue to plate, just more wanted to know if others had done something similar instead of buying a new drag assembly.