Penn 349

Started by richie668, February 15, 2010, 08:48:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richie668

Hi, from new england, Great website . Alan probably heard this one before.. I have a penn 349 that works great for bottom fishing
200-300ft  for cod & haddock. I wanted to know if anyone came up with a way to make it a 6 stack drag configuration instead of the 3 thick stock ones? or if anybody has tried out the thick replacements made by smooth drag. Thanks,Richie

akfish

The thick washers from Smooth Drag are not carbon fiber and I can't recommend them. I am almost certain you can use drag washers from a 114H (006 115) and make it a 5 stack drag. You'll also need a set of metal washers (007C115).
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani

here is the parts list and schematic for the 349 - https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/349.pdf
and just in case, here is the 349H - https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/349h.pdf

the metal washers are just a litle different than the penn 113h and the 114H,  for the carbon fiber washers, i believe that you can order up a set of penn ht-100 washers.  you would put a #6-875 on the gear sleeve first, then the main gear, then two of the #6-113h's, then a keyed metal washer, then a pair of #6-113h's, then a slotted metal washer, then a single #6-113h, and finally the last keyed metal washer.  

interestingly the "keyed" hole for the keyed metal washer will be the same as the penn 113h.  it uses the same gear sleeve, afterall. the problem is the slotted metal washer,  unless you are willing to hand cut a penn 114h metal washer down to size, you will have to find a spare 349 slotted metal washer because the outer diameter is different from the 113h and 114h.  if you can find an extra slotted 349 metal washer, then you can use a "5+1" drag configuration.  good luck, they are impossible to find.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

richie668

Thanks for the input,  I'd also like to get an old aluminum newell spool for it ,
but whenever I find one they want more $$ than its worth. 
I'll try the ht's.  Take care, Richie         

Walter_Lars

I "beleave" a 49 model spool is the same as a 349 at least in the bushing and not Ball bearing model I see a lot of 49's and 49L's on ebay USA  you might be able to pick up a 49L  cheaply
L  behind a model #is Penn slang for a aluminum spool 

richie668

I just found a 349 metal washer set at smooth drag,I'm gonna try out the 5 stack,I already tried the 49 spool last year it fit on the clicker side but was too small on the gear side. Still ice fishing up here in Nh. Should be cod fishing again in april. It's that time of year again when I go through all my reels waiting for the fish to come back...  Tight Lines, Richie   

alantani

what  ????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  been looking for those forever, and they were right under my nose.  thanks a million!  alan

richie668

Thanks,Alan if it was'nt for your posts on mysticparts.com, That showed me how to find this website,where you gave me the idea to make a 5stack ht -100 drag set up. I'd still be trying to figure it out on my own.
coincidentally, I found the link on this website to smooth drag to find the washers. Richie

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

akfish

I just rebuilt a 349H. Here are a couple points: The 349 and 349H have different gears. The 349H gear and drag washers are a little larger than a 114H/115. I can't see how to convert this to a 5 stack drag because you'd need thin metal washers that fit the main gear. I do not know where these can be found. The 349 (no-H) has a smaller main gear and slower retrieve. You might be able to convert this one to a 5 stack drag but I've never tried. That said, it is becoming almost impossible to find parts for any 349. Try a 49: A 49 with greased HT-100s (remember these are about the same size as a 114H/115 drag washer), a steel gear sleeve, a 24-56 handle, and and aluminum spool is a every bits as good a reel as a stock 349.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani

too many different models, too hard to keep them all straight.  i very rarely see any of these.  they've become real collector's items.  alan

richie668

Thank You for everyone's input I was able to make this dragstack of 5 carbontex#2662 carbon fiber washers, 1 set of 349-h Thick stainless 3 drag set,1 keyed stock metal washer 1 slotted stock metal 349h drag washer, & 1 ht-100 113h drag washer behind the main gear. The end result a bottom  fishing machine!  Dawn at smoothdrag was very helpful & able to figure out tolerances dimensions etc. She put together an Exact fitting Set. Maybe One of you west coast guys could part with that aluminum newell 349 spool.............

turboal

Richie668, I have 2 penn 349 reels packed away.I beleive they
are in very good shape.If you are interested in buying 1or2make me an offer. my email is turboal@aol.com i can dig them out
and send you some pics.

Gman_WC

Quote from: alantani on February 15, 2010, 11:34:49 PM
 if you can find an extra slotted 349 metal washer, then you can use a "5+1" drag configuration.  good luck, they are impossible to find.  alan
I know where you can score Montezuma's gold (Penn 349 parts) in NoCal.  ::)  Not the reel for everyone but I own a few and love the performance they offer for their specific applications. 20 Years ago (hmmm..maybe more) I was fishing up north with some friends that have a R&R business. That day we ended up carrying off a party boat 2 dozen used 349's and with boxes of NEW 349 parts wrapped in Penn paper. That is to say after a deal was struck over a bottle and new gear being put on the boat. We also horse traded 24 solid glass 6 foot Salmon rods for rewrapping. The 349 parts have been sitting in a garage and I'm sure for sale, but at what price I can't say? The old man wants to get some return on his money.  I spent 2 days taking these reels apart with the reel man and cleaning and storing the parts. Over the years a few Wahoo specials have been built from them.
Here's one of the Tiburon Hoo special with my plain jane 349H's found on fleabay and rebuild. -g
Walnut Creek, CA

Bryan Young

Oh, those reels.  I just work on a couple of those reels for the Monterey Disabled Veterians Fishing Club.  Very cool.  Was thinking to cock roach a couple in Alan's forgotten Penn Reels Bin.  ;)  I espcially love the way you can free line with a flick of a lever and if you grab the handle, drags are applied.  Too bad no one has come up with one of these configurations in a smaller package to use with Spectra lines.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D