Bay Area fishing reel advice (Trinidad, Accurate, Avet)

Started by Henning, June 14, 2013, 06:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henning

Hello Everyone,

I'm starting to get into some bay area salt fishing (Lingcod, Rockfish, Salmon, Halibut).  I've been looking for my first nice boat reel and considering a Shimano Trinidad TN-16, Accurate BX400x/BX500xn, Accurate Fury and Avet MXJ MC.  I've read the negatives (e.g. Trinidad's ARB failure and ambassaduer dogs, Accurate's ARB faiure and no dogs and Avet's limited drag before crushing the main side plate bearing) and some solutions.

I want to ask which reel is best, but I know there's no perfect reel.  I think a better question is which of these reels is least is problematic and performs best once properly upgraded?  Thanks for your help!

johndtuttle

Quote from: Henning on June 14, 2013, 06:09:18 PM
Hello Everyone,

I'm starting to get into some bay area salt fishing (Lingcod, Rockfish, Salmon, Halibut).  I've been looking for my first nice boat reel and considering a Shimano Trinidad TN-16, Accurate BX400x/BX500xn, Accurate Fury and Avet MXJ MC.  I've read the negatives (e.g. Trinidad's ARB failure and ambassaduer dogs, Accurate's ARB faiure and no dogs and Avet's limited drag before crushing the main side plate bearing) and some solutions.

I want to ask which reel is best, but I know there's no perfect reel.  I think a better question is which of these reels is least is problematic and performs best once properly upgraded?  Thanks for your help!

IMHO, the best choices are for our NorCal Salt are going to be the top star drags. All of the better ones have both instant anti-reverse and back up dogs. A reel like the Penn Torque 25N or Saltiga 30T is the one reel that can do it all as well as fish 40lb leader for live baiting Tuna or lite trolling.

Look at the service tutorial I did on the Penn Torque 25N for a look at the guts.

ps (both of those are the same size as a Trinidad 16 which is a very fine reel too of course)

Bryan Young

Quote from: Henning on June 14, 2013, 06:09:18 PMsalt fishing (Lingcod, Rockfish, Salmon, Halibut)
You probably not need more than 5-7# of drag.  Any of the reels selected would be fine. 

Quote from: Henning on June 14, 2013, 06:09:18 PMShimano Trinidad TN-16, Accurate BX400x/BX500xn, Accurate Fury and Avet MXJ MC

Based on your selection, I'd choose the TN-16 and upgrade the drags to greased carbontex and change the AR pawl to the Trini DC spring loaded pawl.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

handi2

Since I own 2 of the reels mentioned the newer Penn 25N is a great little reel. The Trinidad is the next one I would look at and do the updates as previously mentioned.

On out last outing here in the northern gulf we caught a 40 lb. Cobia with the Penn 25N and a 50 lb. Amberjack with the Tinidad.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

alantani

a little avet sx would work great for this.  you don't need alot of drag!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Jeri

Hi,

I have both the Trinidad and Avet from your list, though am not totally knowledgeable of your fishing requirements in that area, I would certainly select the Avet MX MC. Apart from the drag pressure limitations – and if you keep within those the Avet MX MC has but one small limitation in casting, as for our requirements (surf casting), the magnetic strength is too strong. But otherwise a very fine reel.

Not wishing to divert too far from your preferred reels, I might suggest that you look at the later models of the Release SG – they have a huge drag, awesome casting, and the newer reels will have an anti-reverse pawl added to the very strong ARB. It is worth a look, otherwise I would go with the Avet, and live within the drag limitations – I used one as my 'weapon of choice' for a long time, until I got my SG.

Hope that helps.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

Fishnmike

I'm with Alan. For most things in the bay, short of the big sharks, the Avet SX is perfect.  30lb gear is big and clunky for the things you are wanting to target.

Keta

If you do go with a Trini go with the TN16N or TN12.   An Avet SX or MX is a good choice.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain