Penn International 50 oldest version-greasing drag washer

Started by jimazores, June 10, 2013, 07:39:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimazores

Hi, I have two OLD 50's which have the asbestos drag washers in good condition. Do they get grease or should they run dry?? Thanks for your help, Jim

Norcal Pescador

I don't know if grease would soften the disc and eventually cause it to come apart. I'll say dry, but there has to be someone who knows more than me. I replaced mine with the 117DN-80 CF assembly.

Careful with any asbestos dust. It's really bad to breathe in. >:(
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

jimazores

Norcal Pescador...Thanks, thats my guess too but am hoping Alan might pop in. Are you Portuguese?  ie pescador?  I am on Faial in the Azores and we have been having fun with bigeye tuna up to about 200# the last couple of weeks and the reels needed a rebuild. I had seen the tutorial by Alan that describes greasing the newer type washer but thought I would ask if that applied to the original as well.  Good fishing!

Norcal Pescador

Pescador is also Spanish and I picked the name because I used to live in San Diego and fished there a little bit. I'm Dutch and live in in Northern California. ;D

It sounds like you have some really great fishing. I'm hoping someone else will chime in here about greasing asbestos drags.

Sounds like you have good fishing there. Tight lines.

Rob
Rob

kamuwela

jimazores

Thats two votes that go with what my gut instinct told me so I'll leave them dry. Regards, Jim

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: jimazores on June 12, 2013, 07:07:50 AM
Thats two votes that go with what my gut instinct told me so I'll leave them dry. Regards, Jim

kamu knows his Internationals! :)
Rob

swordfishsteve

Hi Jimazores
I have done many of these old Inters and best to run the old asbestos washers dry, give them a light sand on a lapping plate or sheets glass with 120 dry grit paper, be very carefull NOT to breathe in the asbestos dust, wear a mask or vacuum clean the dust away, make sure the metal drag plates are smooth and FLAT and you should have a sweet drag, however for best performance upgrade to the HT 100 drag fibre washers and light grease with Cals drag grease is the best for performance, cheers Swordfishsteve