Hi from Oregon

Started by ThunderToad, June 11, 2013, 12:22:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThunderToad

Hello and good day to all. I'm not sure what to say here so I will wing it. I am an avid Oregon fisherman I enjoy fishing all available species but my top three are winter steelhead, sturgeon and salty bottom fish. Of course I enjoy salmon and tuna and crabbing. I remember reading some posts from Alan Tani on Ifish.net and made a mental note to track him down when I was ready to hot rod my first reel. Well the time has come. I am wanting to upgrade one of my Shimano Curado 201E7 reels. I was thinking ABEC 7 spool bearings and some upgraded smooth drag washers. I know nothing and have only recently view a couple of how to videos on youtube. My goal is to make this reel cast a small split shot a country mile and having the smoothest drag all the while. I am sure I will find the info I need here. Thank you for reading.

Eric

BMITCH

Welcome Eric, I'm sure your in the right place. Good luck with your upgrades.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Cone

Welcome Eric! The people here can help you get the best out of a reel. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

kamuwela

aloha eric thanks for joining us

alantani

eric, welcome!  for the curado, change out the drag washers to carbontex and cal's grease.  check with http://smoothdrag.com/ for parts.  for the bearings, stick with the stock stainless steel bearings for now. check out the bearing post http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13.0 for info on how to open up and clean out your bearings. use a q-tip to clean the inside of the pinion gear as well.  that will get you the maximum amount of spin.  from there, you can slow down your reel with brakes or the spool cap to adjust to the size of the lure that you are tossing. 

that really it!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bill B

Welcome from the Sacramento Delta
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

welcome to Mr. Tani's neighborhood...

Nessie Hunter

Eric, Welcome......   
I Have Kids, Grand kids & A great Grandson in Portland/Vancouver areas!!!
I Keep trying to get them interested in Bass fishing, I hear there is some great Small Mouth action nearby them..
My Daughter has gotten very good at Salmon & Stealhead the past few years..

Im going out on a limb here, and going to disagree with Alan..
If you are looking for Light weight casting on that Curado, 'DO' go with the #7 Ceramic Spool Bearings...   
This is Exactly what they excel at.   
(now I will suffer the wrath of Alan).....    :-[

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

ThunderToad

Hi All and thank you for the warm welcome! Alan, I will at the least try what you suggest first, then if I still desire more spin maybe I will try the ABEC 7 bearings. I still want to hot rod something so I guess my Abu 6501 C3 could get the bearings? Lord knows it needs them! :P Thank you again everyone.

Keta

Does the C3 have an AR bearing or dog?  Dogging a AR bearing 56xx/65xx is a good mod, here's one of my C4's I use for albacore.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

ThunderToad

Quote from: Keta on June 13, 2013, 05:55:10 AM
Does the C3 have an AR bearing or dog?  Dogging a AR bearing 56xx/65xx is a good mod, here's one of my C4's I use for albacore.

To be honest I do not know. I have never opened it up. It is a relatively newer style 6501 C3 with the paddle handles rather than the older round knob style. I had it serviced a couple of years ago, Joe at Hogg's tackle cleaned it and put carbon drag in it. But I have beat that poor reel and now it grinds on cast and retrieve. I can post a picture of it if that might help?

Keta

On a AR bearing reel the handle does not go backwards slightly until the AR dog engages.  I need to stop by Hogg's sometime, talk with Joe and Mike and pick up some things but it's a 5 hour drive.

ABU reels are a good real to start on, they are relatively easy and Olie Damon has all the parts you will need for repair.

Mark Twain

ThunderToad

Quote from: Keta on June 13, 2013, 12:37:17 PM
On a AR bearing reel the handle does not go backwards slightly until the AR dog engages.  I need to stop by Hogg's sometime, talk with Joe and Mike and pick up some things but it's a 5 hour drive.

ABU reels are a good real to start on, they are relatively easy and Olie Damon has all the parts you will need for repair.

Anti reverse, that is what you are speaking of? I should have figured that out. Yes, my 6501 C3 is a anti reverse reel. I am thinking of buying another 6501 C3 to add a power handle to and make it my dedicated bottom fishing rig. I have heard that Abu reels do not like saltwater? I always thought they were designed for the salt?

Keta

Grease the drag washers and flush them well after using them in saltwater and they are OK.

Mark Twain