Nice broadbill taken in the Mokau Trench

Started by redsetta, June 11, 2013, 09:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetta

A nice fish in the paper today (looks like a Makaira 80W, too):

For more than a decade, fisherman David Donald had dreamed of hooking a "gladiator of the sea" and hauling it up from the ocean depths.
When the moment arrived, it was a fight like no other.

Mr Donald landed the 189-kilogram broadbill on his 12-metre charter boat, Crazy Horse, with Paul and Neil Cleaver on board about 100 kilometres off Waikato's west coast in the Mokau Trench.

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

john2244

Great story !!  Thanks for posting.
John

BMITCH

luck is the residue of design.

Dominick

I missed this until today.  Thanks for posting that Justin.  Good story.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

El Pescador

For us non-metric folks, that is 416 lbs.

VERY nice fish!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Bryan Young

Nice fish.  Time for some smoked marlin.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

BMITCH

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

BMITCH

Makule

I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

broadway

Epic battle!
....13 years to catch one fish... I think I'll stick to inshore ;)
Dom

BMITCH

Quote from: Makule on July 04, 2013, 02:37:14 AM
Anyone on this Forum catch a swordfish?

Yes, my PB 100#. Fortunate  enough to help with a PB caught one on a rental rod. That one went 250#. A miracle that it came to gaff. 2.5 hours and no less then 5 guys fought that fish. Stubborn, strong fish.
Bob

Ron Jones

I've been on a boat where we fought a sordie for a few hours, but have never boated one. It is definitely on the list, a few times, although mine will swim away.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Ron Jones

Bryan,

That is a MEKAJIKI, not a KAJIKI. I missed a fantastic fish print by 1 Hawaiian fish name at the admiral's house last night, so I've been brushing up.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

lawaia

Wow, NICE fish!  Bucket list item for sure.

Makule - Have read of guys catching swordfish at night over on the Kona side.  Don't know of anyone doing that here off Oahu; do you guys get them off the Hilo side?

noyb72 - My handy-dandy fish book calls a swordfish shutome, or were you ribbing Bryan that a shutome is a mega-kajiki?

BMITCH - Maybe a dumb question, but what is a PB?

That extra-long nose makes those swordfish scary and if they're tougher fighters than blue marlin or black marlin, then they surely are formidable adversaries.