Penn 2 speed problems

Started by Clem, June 12, 2013, 04:34:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clem

Hi Guys,

I generally only work on spinners but as its the end of the season here I have all sorts coming in including the odd bit of trolling gear. I have now had 3 reels, VS 50/80's that cannot engage the low gear.

It seems the retaining ring pops off and literally dissapears but I have found the drive plate sitting somewhere inside..is there a specific reason this occurs? is there a better fix?

Thanks for your help  :) Spinners are so much easier......

alantani

not sure which parts you are talking about.  got any photos?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Clem

Hi Alan,

Sorry I should have added that... part number 195B and 128 pic below

It appears that the retaining ring comes off and the drive plate becomes loose? when you press the button for low gear nothing happens as the drive plate is not there or not being held in place correctly. Just wondered if this is something that happens often? or is it just something that happens over time? thanks Alan  :)

alantani

got it!  you have a retaining ring that is not retaining.  it looks like this one.  the ring has to fit into the grove in the drive shaft.  then it has to lock, and obviously it is not.  you can try to enlarge the grove or take a small file to the retaining ring and remove any burrs.  either way, the ring has to lock in properly. 

this is not good. 

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Clem

Thanks Alan,

The odd thing is I could not find the original retaining ring? I looked everywhere for it? I wonder if it is possible that it didnt go in?...anyway..thanks for your help Alan