Hollow core worth it.

Started by Ron Jones, June 12, 2013, 08:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nuvole

For leader I'm not sure that I'm doing it right.
I purchase a small spool of 130lb JB, cut 6ft splice 3ft of 80-100lb mono into it, and mainline into the remaining 3ft.
The reason of using the short lenght of 130lb JB is that I've failed to splice 80lb mono into 60lb JB, and nothing manage to goes into the 40lb JB.

I'm still seeking faster method to change out leader, not quite catching the loop to loop connections method yet.

Normslanding

L2L with Nubs. Love it. Gave up crimps a long time ago. They sell because the appeal is quick with the crimp. But premade L2L leaders are quick, and I have never had a failure.

Keta

Quote from: Nuvole on June 18, 2013, 04:41:58 PM
.......The reason of using the short lenght of 130lb JB is that I've failed to splice 80lb mono into 60lb JB, and nothing manage to goes into the 40lb JB.

Toss the crimps and use two 10 turn nail knots using 30 or 40 spectra.

For 80lb mono you need to use 100 or 130 Spectra, 40 JB hollow is tricky but it can be done with 30 and under.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

tpilk

Quote from: Normslanding on June 18, 2013, 07:42:26 PM
L2L with Nubs. Love it. Gave up crimps a long time ago. They sell because the appeal is quick with the crimp. But premade L2L leaders are quick, and I have never had a failure.

Actually, they sell because they are advertised as being the best and closest to 100% connection. I'm certainly not looking for a "quick" fix. The Sato kits aren't cheap either.

To Lee's comment, I am a fan of served connections...though the 30 or 40 spectra Lee is recommending seems heavy. Is that what's commonly used for these connections?

Packaged leaders have their own issues, for one, you can run out, loan them all out or lose them. I think you still need a hand-tyed backup plan.

Keta

20 tends to cut into the mono, I use 30 for up to 80lb and 40 for anything larger.

Quote from: tpilk on June 19, 2013, 02:00:07 AM
I think you still need a hand-tyed backup plan.
Yup.  I usually have plenty of topshots pre made but occasionally I've had to use a knot.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

tpilk

Quote from: Keta on June 19, 2013, 01:13:17 AM

For 80lb mono you need to use 100 or 130 Spectra, 40 JB hollow is tricky but it can be done with 30 and under.

Hi Lee,

This could be part of my bad experience. I was inserting 80lb mono into #50 Toro Tamer. As I mentioned before I am looking for 10-12ft of good abrasion resistance.

The 80lb inserted (5-6ft) into the 50 hollow core with no problem and the 50lb crimp slid over with some tension, but also no problem.

When I tested the connection (on the scale) and I did pull over the normal drag setting for this setup (about 25lbs), it appeared the mono was stretching and as it relaxed, it would leave the braid slightly bunched up in a few places. I can only assume the crimp wasn't holding as the mono should not be allowed to stretch internally (inside the HC). The result being I was not confident to fish with the connection (I consider that a failure). I will try the same connection with a served finish instead of the crimp.

Just might be a Sato kit in the "For Sale" thread in the near future!

Nuvole

Steal this thread a bit...

So the ideal of the loop to loop connection is as below?

1. Wind on leader, splice in mono to hollow core and make a 4" or so loop.
2. Splice a loop on the main line.
3. Join the wind on leader loop to loop.

What about the 40lb JB? Have anyone successfully splice a loop on them? If yes, kindly advise the needle used please.

Keta

It's tricky but if you run the smallest loop puller down the line first it's not that bad.

Mark Twain

Nuvole

After making a dozen of wind on leader, something came into my mind. Is it not the loop to loop joint which is the weakest link? If so, what's the benifit of using wind on's as the FG knots works faster than making a loop on the mainline + wind on for me?

Nuvole

Quote from: Keta on June 19, 2013, 06:41:14 PM
It's tricky but if you run the smallest loop puller down the line first it's not that bad.

Yeah, after several attempts I finally make a spliced end loop with the 40lb.
I use the Daho RL0420(OD=0.42"/1.06mm) and the line did "flip" inside out.
Its very tricky indeed, and I won't not recommend making them onboard of a rolling boat.

Keta

I try to have several topshots on spools when I head out but I've done it so m any times I can splice loops on small boats.

Mark Twain

Dominick

I do Bimini to Bimini.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Keta

I use a Bimini too but lately I've gone to a surgeons loop with another tuck for solid Spectra.

Mark Twain

Nuvole

After working on quite a bit of 60lb and 40lb JB multi-color today, I found that the dark brown is most difficult to work with. They tends to be very sticky and the dye tends to stick onto my fingers. Soaking the new lines into warm water does help a bit.

Note that the above is my one day experience and have no scientific proven reason. Maybe I should get "myth buster" to prove my point lol.

Ron Jones

Lee,
Does another tuck mean going through the overhand knot a third time? I've seen several people do that, haven't tried it yet.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"