Hollow core worth it.

Started by Ron Jones, June 12, 2013, 08:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

I have been tying a bunch of mono to braid lately but I have no experience with hollow core. I would love to buy some spools from Alan at Black Pearl and some rigging needles and keep up with the Jones' but it is a lot of money. Is theor any advantage to hollow core loop to loop conections over a Yucatan knot other than the fact that the loop goes through the eyes better? I've even tied a piece of heavy mono onto braid and them put a surgeon's loop in the mono so I can swp leaders, if you haven't tried it it works great. I have complete faith in the surgeon's loop as I have caught fish on it for many decades, I'm just wondering what I'm missing not using hollow.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

conchydong

The main reason I like hollow is that you can replace bad sections with an inline splice that is 100%. The fact that you can also perform knotless loops for loop to loop connections or if you prefer a mono/fluoro insertion with a serve or sato crimp is nice also.

SoCalAngler

What conchy said is spot on for hollow use. When connecting spectra to mono/fluoro of 60lbs or less I tie, mono/fluoro over 60lbs I like hollow for other connections and can change toppers quickly after landing big fish. I can tie the connection I use for spectra to mono almost as fast as it takes to do the cats paw though. I have not used the spectra from Black Pearl but I have found hollow spectra of 50lb and less a PITA to open and work with.

Keta

Hollow lays flatter on your spool and does not dig in as bad.  

SoCal,

Power Pro Ace in 40lb works well but it's coated.  I build a lot of 25lb and 30lb topshots using JB 40 hollow and it's a PIA but it can be done, 60 works much better but is too large for 25lb.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

SoCalAngler

Thanks for the heads up Keta but I will never buy PP spectra. I know things seem to have changed since Shimano bought them and they do have new lines but the amount of failures I have seen and heard about them having has turned me away from their product. I have a spool of 300 yards of 40lb that was giving to me in a goodie bag at a tourney 3 years ago and as of yet have not brought myself to use it.

Keta

Is it Ace?  If you want to get rid of it how much do you want for it?

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

SoCalAngler

No, its not Ace and most likely I will give it to one of the pinnhead kids working on one of the sportboats. I had forgot I had it until a couple of days ago when I saw it or I would of given it to one of the kids by now.

day0ne

The main advantage is no knots. ALL knots will weaken Spectra or mono. There is no 100% knot. Splicing hollow will get you as close to 100% that is possible.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Ron Jones

I understand the knot issue, but I've been tying knots for decades and catching fish, I just think the knot deal isn't that big of an issue.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Black Pearl

Quote from: SoCalAngler on June 13, 2013, 05:41:35 AM
What conchy said is spot on for hollow use. When connecting spectra to mono/fluoro of 60lbs or less I tie, mono/fluoro over 60lbs I like hollow for other connections and can change toppers quickly after landing big fish. I can tie the connection I use for spectra to mono almost as fast as it takes to do the cats paw though. I have not used the spectra from Black Pearl but I have found hollow spectra of 50lb and less a PITA to open and work with.

Then, I guess you should try my 40# or 65# hollow.

Keta

Quote from: noyb72 on June 13, 2013, 07:02:10 AM
I understand the knot issue, but I've been tying knots for decades and catching fish, I just think the knot deal isn't that big of an issue.

Ron

Knots can hang up in your guides reducing your casting distance, L2L or direct spliced connections flow through the guides.

Mark Twain

SoCalAngler

As Keta said knots will hinder casting. My topshots are either longer than the casts I can make for reels I use for casting often, like my surface iron setups, or shorter then the rods length on other setups in the under 60lb topper class. This way with the short topshots the knot will be outside of the rods guides while casting so no worries about them getting caught up.

Normslanding

Knots for line over 60# are a problem going thru guides. So they made bigger guides. As to a knot for going thru the guides, or lack of say with a long top shots a Albright is great. It only has a little over a double line profile. That is way better than say a Uni. This all depends on what you fish for, how heavy the drag settings, and if the added costs are worth it to you.
Just as a reference MOST of my fishing, larger Tuna, etc. it is worth it. I cast iron with a short 15ft. wind-on. The thing goes thru the guides like there was a single piece of line. Failures go way down. The wind-ons should be made at your leisure. This avoids tying knots during a hot bite. It provides versatility as I carry many sizes, made up ready to go.

tpilk

Hi guys,

I've been struggling with the hollow core issue and if I might share...

I bought some Toro Tamer hollow core in several weights, along with a Sato crimp set. So far, I'm not lovin' it. It's not quite the next thing to sliced bread that the folks selling it claim it is.

Previously, I've been a big fan of the PR Knot. I posted on another thread about why I like the PR bobbin over the fly-tying - I like the weight, as it acts like a fly wheel when spinning. You can get the wraps as tight as you need.

Anyway, my PR knots have performed flawlessly. They are strong, durable and shoot through the guides with little (no more than a Sato crimp) friction or "bump." I am posting a picture of 80lb mono wrapped with #50 XP.

I have had a Sato crimp fail, though it was very likely a rookie mistake?? Jury is still out as I need to perfect my technique. That said, I have NEVER had a PR Knot fail.

My use is mostly short, 10-12ft shock leaders for abrasion resistance. I will attach an 80lb mono leader to #50 or #65 braid.

For in line slices/repairs, hollow core would certainly make more sense. For attaching shock leaders and even topshots, there is nothing wrong (and a whole lot right) with a PR knot!

Any thoughts on the PR knot?

Chip

Keta

L2L changes out much faster than that knot.

Mark Twain