finding parts

Started by Fullaphish, February 17, 2010, 04:55:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fullaphish

I just wanted to say thanks for all the help Alan and the rest of you guys have givin me.  I was wondering why we havn't put together a sticky post with all the parts stores in it.  Just seems like the most difficult part of all this has become finding all the tiburon whosawhats and the newell thingamigiggys and so on.  Will i be able to find some of this stuff at Fred Hall Long Beach?  Thanks again, if not for Alans guides i wouldn't have ever tried all this

alantani

well, i can tell you what's going on in the san francisco bay area. 

hank of hank's rod and reel repair died a while back and i bought his inventory.

coyote bait and tackle was never in reel repair business. 

reed's sporting goods went outof business.

mel cotton's  doesn't repair reels.

the rod rack is going out of business soon.  their inventory is up for grabs.

outdoor pro shops doesn't repair reels.

western sports sends their reels to me.

hi's tackle just got out of the repair business and i bought their inventory.

fisherman's warehouse in san jose had a few parts when the old manager was there.  the few parts they had were shipped back to their sacramento shop that does the bulk of the work for northern california. 

there are 4-5 guys that run independent operations locally but i only know a few of them. 

that's it locally!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

WOW.  I need a hobby part-time job... but I will never be as good as you Alan.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

we should re-open Hank's Rod and Reel Repair!

Bryan Young

Hmm. maybe we should.  Gotta bust out my rod wrapping lathe if this is going to happen.

There isn't a lot of rod repair shops anymore as well.  A bunch of custom rod wrappers, but most do not do rod repair.

The problem these days with the new rods is that many are so cheap, it's probably cheaper for them to purchase a new rod.

I know a lot of guys when they bust off the tip, they just stick a new one on.  The problem is that the rod is prone to break again because you often need to remove 2-6 inches to remove the unnoticeable crack in the rod, and then the guides should be re-spaced to the new curveature of the rod.

Wow, just thinking about what I used to do when repairing rods, that was a lot of work for little pay.  Hmm, maybe I should teach a how-to-do class instead. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Cortez_Conversions

And if there's room for a small machine shop in the back.....
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

alantani

last week i put an order in for a new work bench.  it's a kennedy series like the one below. 

it will have three wire racks on the uprights to hold 9 of the plano 974 organizer racks, three across and three high.

the bench will be 5 feet wide, 2 feet deep and the tabletop will be 27 inches high.  hey, don't laugh, i'm short......  that "bench" next to my old worktable was actually an old waterbed frame and it's now out in front of the garage.  when the new work bench arrives, i will set it up in that spot.  in the meantime, the garage is even more of a mess then it was before.  i hope to be able to start getting things organized soon. 

lois

Quote from: Bryan Young on October 10, 2010, 04:28:11 AM
Hmm. maybe we should.  Gotta bust out my rod wrapping lathe if this is going to happen.

There isn't a lot of rod repair shops anymore as well.  A bunch of custom rod wrappers, but most do not do rod repair.

The problem these days with the new rods is that many are so cheap, it's probably cheaper for them to purchase a new rod.

I know a lot of guys when they bust off the tip, they just stick a new one on.  The problem is that the rod is prone to break again because you often need to remove 2-6 inches to remove the unnoticeable crack in the rod, and then the guides should be re-spaced to the new curveature of the rod.

Wow, just thinking about what I used to do when repairing rods, that was a lot of work for little pay.  Hmm, maybe I should teach a how-to-do class instead. 

i know a great shop in Hawaii :D

Bryan Young

5 Oceans 7 Seas in Hawaii does it all.  Rods and Reels repair.  Has one of the most beautiful reel techs in the world.

alantani

tried to get out to hawaii with the family, but it was all last minute and we could not put together a trip.  maybe brian and i will have to come out without the wives and kids!   ;D