Okuma Cedros 8S - handle broken off while reeling in a jig

Started by Jon_Kol, June 14, 2013, 02:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon_Kol

Hi everyone!

Just want to ask if any of you have heard of or experienced problems with the handle on the Okuma Cedros 8S? My friend Andreas offered a friend to use the reel while fishing for halibut here in Norway and quite strangely the handle simply broke off while the guy was reeling in a jig. It should be mentioned that the person using the reel is one of Norways most profiled sportfishermen so there's no foul handling of the reel. :)

I apologize for the large format of the picture, but I figured that it might be handy to properly see the damage and where the break happened.

Bryan Young

This is the first I have heard.  I recommend contacting Okuma for a replacement.  They will likely send you a new one at no charge.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

I'm not sure but the handle shaft that you're showing appears to be aluminum. If it is aluminum, it will happen again. :-\
I would purchase a replacement knob from Alan.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Jon_Kol

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 14, 2013, 03:26:55 PM
I'm not sure but the handle shaft that you're showing appears to be aluminum. If it is aluminum, it will happen again. :-\
I would purchase a replacement knob from Alan.

Yes, I got the impression that it's aluminum. Kinda strange for a reel this size, isn't it?