Excuse me sir, I'm trying to find the intersection of Parts Galore and Easy st.?

Started by slowpoke, June 14, 2013, 02:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slowpoke

Good morning all!
Short story- I have two Penn 113h reels and two 4/0 Senator 114 reels.
They are about 15 years old, rode hard and hung up wet, and I'm going to rebuild/refresh each of them.
First up at bat, I tore apart one of the 113h reels.
I need to replace an awful lot of parts in this reel (and I suspect the same parts in the other reels, as well).
Starting with all the screws that hold the outer halves together, the bearings, clicker mechanisms.....
I browsed through (and thoroughly enjoyed) the rebuild section, as it's so clear and concise that even I can understand it!
But I could use some help in sourcing the parts. What is the easiest way to go about this?
Also, I have seen talk here and there about upgrades to the 113h.
I know I would like a larger handle (longer throw), but is there a "recipe" for other things you can do to this reel?
Ideally I would like to order parts for all four of these reels today, so I can just crank them all out next week and not end up with unfinished projects sitting on the work bench.
(a little background about me.....I seem to have this character flaw, a project may sit on the sidelines in the "needing to get done" section for a long time. One day, for inexplicable reasons, it will pop up to the top of my priority list. THAT is the time I need to jump on it and get it done, for if it sits for too long another of the hundreds of waiting projects will jump to the top of the list and it could be years ( ;D) before it rotates back up to the top of the list again!)
Did I say "short" story? ;D
Thanks in advance for the help,
Dave

BMITCH

Dave, a lot of info there. Your in the right place for the senator rebuilds. The only limitations are you wallet. You will get help along the way if you only ask. As far as upgrades and parts...I have found there usually is no one stop shopping. Patience is going to be the rule here. Mystic Parts is an excellent source for the penn parts. Mr. Tani has many of the things you will need for upgrades(handles, SS sleeves.....). So to answer your question there is no short cuts. That's half the fun of ordering upgrades, waiting for them to come in and then rebuilding. Remember it's a hobby.
Bob

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

luck is the residue of design.

slowpoke

Thanks Bob!
I need to slow down on the caffeine in the mornings!
I'll look for Mystic Parts and see if I can get some pieces ordered.
Should I p.m/email Mr. Tani to inquire about upgrade parts or is there a specific area here I should post to?
Dave

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Norcal Pescador

Start here:
http://alantani.com/index.php?board=13.0

This wrench is not mandatory, but it works a whole lot better than the stamped-out ones that Penn makes. It will work on all Penn reels and some Daiwa Sealines. A lot of us use them.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=164.0

Here's the link for Scott's / MysticParts.com:
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Home.aspx

You can order everything from Pennparts or order what Alan has (a bit cheaper 'cuz he sells his stuff to PP) and the rest from pennparts. They're both small businesses, but Alan's is smaller. ;D

Have fun with the new, highly addictive hobby! ;D

Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

slowpoke

Thanks for the links Pescador!
Scott's bait and tackle was a breeze to identify and order parts through.
Next up is to order a few from Alan.
One thing I could not order from Scott's though...
On the 133hsp reels, the little gear that the clicker clicks against.
They show it as an attached part of the spindle and when I called the lady told me that it is integral to the spool/spindle assembly which must be purchased as one piece, and that since my gear slides off the spindle it must be broken?
It sure doesn't seem broken.

Bryan Young

if the clicker cog come off the shaft, it's broken.  People have welded it back on.  I have brazed it back on (because I don't have a welder).  Others have used epoxys, like JP Weld to get that part back on the spool shaft.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

slowpoke

Interesting.
When I re-attach it, how should it be positioned?
Should I slide it down until it bottoms out on the shaft?
There is a little bit of wiggle room and I'd like to get it right the first time!

BMITCH

You have another 113 and plenty of energy. Tear that one apart and use as a guide.

slowpoke

Quote from: BMITCH on June 14, 2013, 09:41:01 PM
You have another 113 and plenty of energy. Tear that one apart and use as a guide.
Thank you BMitch!
I guess I should have stated that the first thing I did was to tear into the other reel and......big surprise, same problem.
When set all the way down on the spindle, there's only about 1/32" to the next shoulder up (that would rest against the bearing).
When I build an engine, if I install a part that is off by that much it's catastrophic failure before you get it out of the driveway!
But it's not an engine, so I guess I'll just seat it at the bottom and if it doesn't go clickclickclick I can buy a spindle/spool assembly and do it over.

BMITCH

I just pulled down my 113HLW and it looks like its tight up against the spool flang.

Hope that helps.
Bob

slowpoke

Now that's going above and beyond the call of duty!
Thanks Bob
I just want to try and get it right the first time. I hate it when I "fix" something and then it grenades the first time I put it back in service :'(
And I really like the electronic calipers!
I might just have to get one of those
Dave

Alto Mare

Its always nice to see someone attempting to put things back as they were. I hope your effort works out for you,I never had luck with those :-\.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Norcal Pescador

Digital calipers at Harbor Freight - $10 when they run the coupon.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

BMITCH

slowpoke

Now that I need my reading glasses AND a magnifying glass to read my old fashioned "manual" ones, I think it's time I broke down and bought a set! :-[