Saltiga ld40 2 speed?

Started by justindfish, June 15, 2013, 02:06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justindfish

What is the latest consensus on the saltiga 40 lever drag 2speed I'm looking for a all purpose 2 speed for jigging and bottom dropping in the gulf of Mexico. It seems like a perfect reel on paper for the purpose. The frame and spool cracking issues have me some what scared though.

JGB

I have owned and fished the Saltist ld20 and LD30 2 speeds (blue and black reels). They are a good value but need  some TLC to keep then reliable. Most of the parts are shared between the Saltist and the Saltiga.
Grease the drags, open and  TSI the spool bearings, Pack the pinion and gear shaft bearings and grease the lever detente plate ( both sides). I still fish the LD20 as a 20-30# light line live bait reel.
Be careful not to bend the dog spring leafs. Draw backs are Die Cast Frame with reel seat rivets can corrode and it is a single dog reel (The single speed has a dog and a A/R bearing). Out of all of them the 40 is a very good size as it has a larger spool with more drag surface. To date I have not seen any cracked or broken frames in these models. The Saltiga versions (very expensive) spec more drag ( same parts and more drag???) and have a covered drag and a machined aluminum frame (still has the single dog and riveted reel seat). The newer Saltigas now have thicker frames so the cracking at the screws may now be a non issue.

Enjoy,
Jim N.

justindfish

Thanks I haven't read that the current saltigas have heavier frames that's good to know. I still am still leary about the foot attachment. Don't get me wrong I know they are good reels but I don't want to have to deal with problems.