Which Penn Reel is a good one for newbs to tear into first?

Started by JoeR, June 16, 2013, 02:10:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeR

I have been a closet collector for a while now but I really like Penn reels and will concentrate on them. Since I live so far from the ocean there is no chance to score a reel at garage sale or Craigslist so eBay would be the only place where I could pick up an old Penn that needs some TLC.

I didn't know if there was a good reel to start with to get the feet wet or just grab whatever grabs my eye someday.

Many thanks as always

Joe

akfish

The Penn Senator and Long Beach reels are about as easy as t gets...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Alto Mare

Or a Jigmaster, that one is easier yet. Actually they're all easy after you tear them down a couple of times.
The Jigmaster is a good reel to start with, you won't need to deal with the dog and spring, well unless you decide to install a second dog ;D.
Have fun Joe.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Norcal Pescador

I'll go with Sal on this one. I think the Jigmaster is easier with its captive dog spring and dog. Also a Jigmaster is definitely a keeper because of its versatility. Real/reel economy wise, the Longbeach 60 is probably easier to score and service (cheaper parts) due to its lower demand than a Jigmaster. It's up to you and your wallet. ;D

Sal, get a good hook set on servicing a reel before you gaff Joe with a double dog. ::) ;D

And you might be surprised what you'll find at an inland garage sale. ;)
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Ron Jones

If you plan on doing more than one reel, I'd recommend any Long beach or black Senator so you don't deal with bearings. That way you figure out the dog deal early.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

BMITCH

Spinner.....IMO older 700,710 etc. 113h. Lotta parts available and a good all around reel.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.