how to get the strongest drag!penn long beach, penn peerless

Started by pcde123, June 16, 2013, 09:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pcde123

i have 2 reels that im gonna be hot rodding, should i use ht100 or carbontex smooth washers?
how should the metal washers stack? can someone give me a diagram for both reels?(starting from the bridge up)
where is the cheapest place to buy them?
how many of each should i buy

alantani

http://smoothdrag.com/ will have the drag washers, cal's grease and reel x that you will need to get started!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ron Jones

So,
All I can talk about is the LongBeach, but I can speak with some authority on those. You can put 5 HT-100 drags in the LongBeach with a carbontex washer (I forget the number) under the main gear and it will all fit nicely. I'm not sure if mysticparts.com is the cheapest but they are competitive, really great people and help out everyone on this board. This is a good amount of drag and so I recomend the stainless gear sleeve and a stainless dog. Other than that a big handle helps a lot.  We are here to help.

Good Luck!!
Ron

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

pcde123

so do i just stack 5 of them on top of each other? and then top it off with a carbontex washer?, no metal washer?

Keta

No, you need to alternate cf, keyed, cf, eared, cf, keyed.........
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

You didn't say what long beach  you have. If you have the 60 or 65 , I would leave the three washers. Those are squidder gears and are rated at 7 to 8 lb :-\.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Ron Jones

Alan's Penn Senator 111 tutorial shows you how to do this step by step.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Norcal Pescador

Unless the main gear is steel, I would stay with the 3-washer stack or put a note on the inside of my glasses reminding me it's a brass main gear. :-\  Brass drive gears are the weakest links.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Ron Jones

I didn't know that they made LongBeachs with brass gears. All of them that I have opened have been steel. I have opened Senators with brass 66 gears though.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Alto Mare

Yea, that's what I was getting at. Alan did the 111, that one has beefier gears, just like the 66-67and 68 long beach. Those can handle the 1+5 drag stack.
The 60 and 65 have 5-60 gears and I don't believe they could handle the 1+5 stack.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

RowdyW

I don't think it is feasable to put a 5+1 in a 60 gear. They are not tall enough.

Alto Mare

The 5-60 are 1mm deeper than the 5-500 ( jigmaster). Bryan as placed a 1+5 in the Jigmaster.

I will be doing the 1+5 on the 5-60 by the way, but not now. I'm waiting for Black Pearl to make us some ss gears for those as well.

Ron Jones

I hadn't heard that Black Pearl was going to make a 60 gear! That would be sweet! I only have 85s with that gear, and they have pretty flimsy stands and I don't think that a 5 stack is warranted, but I do think every reel should be full of stainless and aluminum.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Alto Mare

The stand would be an issue on all of the reels you've been upgrading not just the Squidder, that's why we go with the Tib kit.

pcde123

Its a penn long beach 68, anyone have anyclues on the peerless, and when you mean carbonfiber do u mean ht-100?