Makaira 20/30 Feedback

Started by bigreddog, June 17, 2013, 09:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigreddog

I am in the market for some new long range reels (Makaira 16 SEa, a 20 SEa and maybe a 30 SEa), and have been doing my research.  Does anyone out there have any negatives regarding quality, durability or service related issues for these reels?

I have spoken with several end users who have been happy, and I understand all of the advantages that these reels offer right out of the box. 

However, a well regarded dealer that I trust- one who sells almost all brands of reels (including Okuma) said that the Makairas would not be his recommendation. 

Any updates to previous opinions given by the reel gurus on this board?  Thanks!

alantani

i have a full set.  they've been good so far!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Squirmypug

I have a MK20, its an awesome reel. No problems with it so far (1.5 years).
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

otownjoe

I have found a lot of people who still base there opinion on okuma on the older series of reels.

josa1

My son got me a 30 SEa for my birthday.  Just used it on a 218 pound YFT and I thought it was just about as awsome as you could get.  It was castable using sardines for bait, it had awsome free spool and the drag is strong and stable.  I couldn't be happier with the reel.

josa1

BMITCH

Josa1, NICE fish. Got any pics?
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

josa1

Haven't learned to post pictures  :-\ on this site using the Photo Bucket software.  Check the RRIII reports, the crew is holding the fish on the rail and I'm holding the reel up for my son to see.  Forgot to mention that the reel holds a LOT of line and due to the combination of line capacity and drag strength, and despite several long runs by the fish, I was never in danger of having to throw the reel in the drink to use a back up.  Josa1

BMITCH

Ok, I'll check it out. Good luck with the reel.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Normslanding

I guess you would call me a Okuma fan. Lots of use on lots of them with no issues. If you do have a issue (which you won't) the service department for Okuma is great. They are always willing to help this madddd world of reel tweakers. I NEED A MAK16SEa.