Easy-Baked Jigmaster Parts

Started by Joel.B, June 18, 2013, 09:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joel.B

These parts were heavily corroded, I blasted them in my cabinet with 180grit aluminum oxide, drilled some holes in the bars, shot them with the last of my Alumahyde and then baked.  I should have sprayed the bushings and all of the shiny hardware with same- maybe later.     I was tempted to port some holes in stand too- but i feared for the integrity of it.  Did not save much weight, reel weighs 1 pound 7 oz, with newell 5:1 gears and Penn aluminum spool.

I am doing another with cerakote - going to go with crimson or orange on the plates, crimson pin-striping on the black accurate frame, should be more durable finish than this stuff- which is already pretty tough.  I'll shoot the hardware with flat-black. It's the 506 I double-dogged with steel sleeve - trying to get a mini-Hurst shifter handle made for it. Going to call it "506 SS" Super Sport.  

redsetta

Looks great - well done Joel.
The holes are a nice touch. Like the handle too.
Thanks for sharing.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

BMITCH

Beautiful job Joel. Your very talented. Nice work!,
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Norcal Pescador

Very Nice! I like the holey work on it. How about using matte black hardware on a matte black reel clamp? ;)
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

harryk3616

hi   joel       are those the jigmaster bars i sent you?    very nice i like the look.     harryk

Joel.B

Quote from: harryk3616 on June 19, 2013, 12:20:37 AM
hi   joel       are those the jigmaster bars i sent you?    very nice i like the look.     harryk

These were actually worse than ones you sent- if you can believe that

Ron Jones

Have you fished any of these yet? Any idea how they hold up to salt water?

They look great!!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

harryk3616

gee    joel        you didn't ask for new, just used, you said you were going to pain't them, i can believe that there were worst ones out there

doradoben

Nice Joel and very different. Is the handle from an Intl. 12 ?..

Joel.B

Quote from: harryk3616 on June 19, 2013, 04:48:11 AM
gee    joel        you didn't ask for new, just used, you said you were going to pain't them, i can believe that there were worst ones out there

Don't get offended Harry- but reels from Mexico are  always in worse condition than any I have ever seen.   This one barely had any flecks of chrome left...  Yours will be painted too, i'll do before and after pics. 

Not fished these yet- but have done a few guns with ALumahyde, the stuff holds up to strong solvents and hard SWAT use pretty well....

NOt sure which reel handle is from- it was on a 505hs I bought

JoeR

SNAPPERHEAD

Quote from: JoeR on June 20, 2013, 12:22:31 AM
Very nice, I really like it.

Very nice! I would like to do some powdercoating soon. May I ask, are those Newell bushings on that Jigmaster?

SNAPPERHEAD

publius

Do you find the cerracoat to be better than Duracoat? If so, is it a lot better?

Joel.B

Yes, Newell Bushings- have not cast with them but free spools much more than Penn bushings.....which may be a detriment  ....

Cerakote vs Durakote - not used either on a reel yet, only guns:  Cerakote much more durable and permanent finish, also much harder to apply - multi-color jobs especially.   Cerakote also much prettier - can be polished

bluefish69

JoelB

When using Newell Bushing drill a 1/16" hole through the Bushing so you can oil them easyly without removing them. Yes I know it lets water in but oil cures that problem. I had to open the hole in the Bushing because it was to thight on the spool shaft of the 501 that I put them in.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.