Question about jigmaster gear I bought from eBay

Started by CaptKC, June 19, 2013, 02:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptKC

Hello, I'm new to the forum.  I have spent countless hours reading and very grateful for all of the post.  I am also grateful for Mr. Tani's time for the tutorials and the wealth of information he provides.

I have searched and could not find an answer, so I thought it was time to join.  I'm trying to upgrade a jigmaster for fun.

I bought some Accurate Jigmaster gears from eBay.  I'm not sure if its real or not.  The gears are shiny and looks like stainless steel, but when I put a magnet to it, it sticks pretty well.  Does that mean its not stainless steel?  The magnet does not stick to the yoke, and slightly to the pinion.  Is  this gear set still an upgrade?  Any insight would greatly be appreciated.

Norcal Pescador

First, welcome to the forum!

Your gears are most likely "stainless" Accurates unless I've been hoodwinked also. I have some sets for 113H reels that are slightly magnetic. I'm not a metallurgist, but they probably have a higher iron content and lower nickel(?) content. I would still consider them stainless and, yes, they're still a good upgrade.

You mentioned the yoke - does it look stainless? To make it a tough reel, a stainless gear sleeve and dog, and 5+1 drag stack are good upgrades to consider.

Have fun with possibilities!
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

CaptKC

Thank you for the reply, and that does make me feel better.  The yoke, i'm pretty sure it's stainless.  Now I need to work on getting the sleeve and other parts.

Bryan Young

Accurate and Newell gears are magnetic. I believe that these SS materials are the ones that could be hardened.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D