Brand New Avet Sx 5.3 lefthanded MC feels tight

Started by dudewarner, June 22, 2013, 04:24:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dudewarner

I just purchased a new Avet 5.3 MC for my daughter, the reel right out of the box seems tight when turning the handle, and in freespool the spool will only spin three or four revolutions. I myself have a MXJ and a MXL non MC and both spin totally free in free spool (birdsnest maker). I was wondering if the tightness was because it is a MC or some other problem. I have not tried another MC reel to compare. Any input would be apprec.
Charlie

day0ne

Quote from: dudewarner on June 22, 2013, 04:24:44 AM
I just purchased a new Avet 5.3 MC for my daughter, the reel right out of the box seems tight when turning the handle, and in freespool the spool will only spin three or four revolutions. I myself have a MXJ and a MXL non MC and both spin totally free in free spool (birdsnest maker). I was wondering if the tightness was because it is a MC or some other problem. I have not tried another MC reel to compare. Any input would be apprec.
Charlie

If by "tight" you mean hard to turn the handle, the drag may be set too high. Try backing the drag off. The lack of freespool is probably the MC setup. The MC Avets don't freespool very well. It  seems that even if you back the MC setup all the way off, the magnets still affect freespool.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

dudewarner

Thanks for the input dayone i think the slow freespool is do to the MC but the handle still feels stiffer even with the drag backed off, (i think its just this reel) because both of my other Avets are super smooth. 

dudewarner

Well we used the reel today here in Santa Cruz Ca. and it still feels tight when reeling even more so with some weight on it. The free spool is fine it just needed line on it. Any suggestions (back to Avet)
ALAN HELP!!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

redfish12

I just went through the same thing with a new out of the box SXJ. I found the cause to be the male cam (part 41 on the SX schematic) was not fully flush with the frame. I had a hard time removing it and eventually settled on tapping it with a rubber mallet to have it set flat. Works like a charm now!

Dwbuzzard

I just bought the same reel and I have the same tightness. Have not gone inside yet. really should not have to on a brand new reel.

Dockside

^^^Ditto
Same with the HX Raptor I just bought.

After spooling some line on and off, that went away.  I've often noticed resistance turning the handle on Avets.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

i bought a SX single speed and it was slight tight and this what i did. remove some material off this part key #40(drive shaft washer) by using sand paper (various) and it solve the binding issue in my SX. hope this helps...now time to work on the clicker assembly, sand key # 66 (the clicker housing) for it to operate smoother, too tight and i haven't worked out in the gym in ages.  ;D

redfish12

I had the same problem and realized that the cam was not fully seated. Check the lever drag assembly and see if it seems like it is a little crooked. If so, a few taps and it was good to go for my SXJ!

MFB

The first thing I noticed is they're not as smooth as a Shimano.

Rgds

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton