yes, you need to grease your drag washers

Started by alantani, June 23, 2013, 05:12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

yes, you need to grease your drag washers!

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

ok, this is more like it.  grease drag washer and open bearings that have  been cleaned and lubed with TSI 301, then re-installed open.  accurate greases the drags on their new reels.  this is an older one.  they still do not use open spool bearings.  the bearings on this reel were toast as well.  it's a good thing that everyone greases their drag washers now, isn't it!

Irish Jigger

Newell Nut

Grease and drags just does not sound right but I grease all of mine after finding out that the drag still holds a lot of pressure if not more with grease. They are also waterproof which is a huge benefit.
Thanks to Alan for all of his research and development over the years.

Alto Mare

I just want to mention that with my findings too much grease caused some loss of drag. I understand that most of the grease gets squeezed out, but in some cases you will still loose drags. Just a touch of Cal's is all that its needed. Too much grease on drags is not good.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

triumphrick

It's hard to describe...but I also can tell if there is too much grease on a drag washer..

I use both hands and apply the grease with my thumbs as I turn the washer...rubbing it into the surface until it is evenly applied. I always use a shop towel to wipe off any excess...

Alto Mare

A simple test would be to pull them out and clean them with a rag , see if that does anything.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Ron Jones

Excessive grease reduces the coefficient of friction of the Carbon Fiber. The grease is really there to eliminate what Alan calls start up and if the Guru says it is important then it is! So excessive grease reduces max drag but insufficient grease can cause start up.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Jim

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 23, 2013, 08:34:00 PM
I just want to mention that with my findings too much grease caused some loss of drag. I understand that most of the grease gets squeezed out, but in some cases you will still loose drags. Just a touch of Cal's is all that its needed. Too much grease on drags is not good.

Direct from Cal Sheets lips . . . "you can't use too little, but you sure can use too much."

When he shows you a dry washer and a greased one side by side, the only thing you see is the greased one is "shiny".

(Bought a used ATD30 from a guy complaining about his drag on the long ride home from Hurricane . . . paid $300, and he was very happy to get rid of it. The drag looked similar to the one in Alan's photo, but not as bad. Cleaned up real nice, score!!)

alantani

that's funny!  i would have said just the opposite!   ;D

Bunnlevel Sharker

Dang if that was my accuratte, i would have cried :-\
Grayson Lanier

filangler