Super Mariner

Started by Shark Hunter, June 24, 2013, 02:38:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I recently picked up a second Super Mariner. It looked in great shape, but after pulling the line off, Evidently, this was a very early 3 piece spool model and the end of the spool has separated from the unit. Damn!
Is there such a find as a super mariner spool?
Life is Good!

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

George4741

Get an aluminum spool from Scotts or ebay.  They are the least likely to spread or get out of round.
  George
viurem lliures o morirem

Shark Hunter

Thanks for the tip George. I think my days of buying reels with line on them to hide the spool are over.
Life is Good!

Ron Jones

All apologies. I thought you had a Master Mariner. Those spools are made of unobtanium. I agree, an aluminum spool is the only way to go.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

akfish

An aluminum spool is the only way to go; however, you'll need to get a new bridge as well because the bridge that came with the old spool won't quite fit. You can make it fit with some pretty serious grinding on the bottom edge...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Alto Mare

Quote from: akfish on June 24, 2013, 09:31:43 PM
An aluminum spool is the only way to go....

Well, that all depends :-\. I wouldn't advice anyone to use an aluminum spool for wire trolling. Most the I've seen here in the NE were loaded with ss line.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

George4741

The downside is.... a NEW spool will cost $30 or more.  Reely Gone also has one for about $30 and free shipping.  Now you know why I got rid of my 49 with plastic spool.  A new aluminum spool would cost almost as much as I paid for the reel. 
  George
viurem lliures o morirem

Keta

I paid considerably more for a NIB Newell aluminum 349 spool.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

I would be content with a chromed brass one like the original. If I fish with this reel, it would just be spooled with mono for some catfish or bait fishing for Shark Bait. I know these were intended for wire, but that not how I plan to use it. I have a mint condition one with wire on it, but will probably put it in the showcase.
Life is Good!

Ron Jones

I have begun to look at reel parts the same way I look at rifles. I will spend more money on a scope than the rifle if the rifle warrants it. If the price of an aluminum spool makes the reel do what you want for what you are willing to pay then it is worth it. The reel will last a life time absorbing the initial cost.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Shark Hunter

A rainy day gets me to work on my reels. It is hard to find time anymore. The super mariner was super crusty. A little bit of chrome polish and elbow grease really shows. Thanks for the spool Lee!
This was my first Super Mariner teardown. After rebuilding all of my Senators, it came pretty easy.
A little tricky on the eccentric, but I figured it out. My schooling from Sal is really paying off.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Looking good Daron, I wish my workbench looks that way, I usually have 3 or 4 reels going at once.
At the rate your going, you'll be there soon ;) ;D.
Lee should have ss dogs for that reel, also if you want to do some crazy upgrades as this, I could send you a 349 bridge, just let me know
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6197.0
It is a lot of work though :-\.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

That's not my bench, Its the Kitchen Table!
No crazy upgrades on this one buddy. You have me in pretty deep already.
Trying to Control Myself. ;D
Life is Good!