Accurate BX2-500 Preset Knob Help

Started by drewsung, June 24, 2013, 05:42:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drewsung

I'm trying to fix a BX2-500 that had no free spool and a drag preset knob that would not turn for adjustment or go up and down going from full to free.  

I started by taking the reel apart and opening the spool bearings.  Next I gave them the Tani freespool treatment (shields off, carb cleaner, compressed air, t$i 301).  I checked the drags and they were fine (properly greased, no salt intrusion etc).  I put the spool assy back together and attached the spool to the right side plate.  The drag knob goes up and down now like it should and the free spool is great.  The only thing I can't figure out is why the preset knob won't turn.  Also, when I put the reel back together it won't free spool.  I'm guessing that has something to do with the knob not turning.  Any ideas?

Bryan Young

The preset knob can be tight, but that is probably not the reason.  Check the cast control knob and make sure that it's backed off all the way.

Regarding the preset knob, you may need to use a little force to get it loose.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

drewsung

I took the cast control knob off completely because I thought that was causing the issue.  The preset knob won't budge.

REK

When you turn the preset clockwise(heavier drag), the adjustment knob will move away and out from the drag mechanism. You can turn this until you run out of adjustment threads. When turning the drag adjustment counter clockwise(less drag), the adjustment knob will/can tighten down so much that a pair of pliers will be needed to loosen(clockwise). If this works out and you do loosen things up, I would disassemble the entire drag adjustment parts and clean and grease. The only thing I can come up with as per losing freespool when you put the reel back together, and I'm just taking a wild guess here, did you reverse the spool? Left and right sides are still left and right? Spool looks the same on both sides while all the parts are off. I used a marker and stained one side red. Red=right side. No. I do not know if there is a difference if left/right are reversed. I just saw what I saw, and marked one side.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

EvoX

Not sure if this helps but you can try to take a look at the preset drag adjustments washers part number 53(0.015") 54(0.02") ,55(0.025").  Having all 3 of them installed may cause the whole tension mechanism to be too tight thus having difficulty to adjust the cam and lost of free spool.  Trial and error by removing a combination of the #53/54/55 till you get the desired cam setting and free spool.

drewsung

I figured it out.  The loss of free spool was due to the cast control insert being too far in which ended up touching the spool.  I had to back it out with an allen wrench and put the cast control away back together.  I soaked the preset knob in denatured alcohol and it is no longer seized.  The free spool improved to around 35 seconds from around 9 (without a sleeve).  Is this about as good as it get with accurates?  How much more will I get with a sleeve?  I also gave my dpx2 500N the Tani bearing treatment and got almost the same improvement. 

alantani

35 seconds is great!!!!!!  my best cast lasts maybe 5 seconds!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!