Shimano Castaic

Started by Seven_0007, June 25, 2013, 06:27:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seven_0007

Hi i was given a Castaic which i sent in to get cleaned at a local shop, but when i opened the side plate to adjust the brakes i noticed it is a bit corroded. I'm wondering if there's a way i can get that cleaned up. I've seen steel wool used to clean up corrosion, but before i go grinding away i want to make sure this can be cleaned

Thanks for your time.

Ron Jones

I would use marine grease ans a stainless steel wire brush. Shouldn't take much.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Zimbass

That brass ring is critical to the smooth operation of the reel, so if you do attack the corrosion with a wire brush be sure that it is polished to a shiny smooth finish afterwards.

Think that some brasso and a little elbow grease will get that all out, and will be less abrasive.
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

Nessie Hunter

Quote from: Zimbass on June 25, 2013, 12:14:40 PM
That brass ring is critical to the smooth operation of the reel, so if you do attack the corrosion with a wire brush be sure that it is polished to a shiny smooth finish afterwards.

Think that some brasso and a little elbow grease will get that all out, and will be less abrasive.

Exactly....

The inner ring surface is where the Centrifugal braking shoes ride...
It must be smooth as silk for good/smooth braking.....   :)

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Seven_0007

I just went out and bought some Brasso. I'll give it a try and let you guys know if it was effective. Thanks for all the help so far.

Seven_0007

It cleaned it up quite a bit. Now i have another issue. The wife seen me with reel guts all over the table and asked if that was the reel she had sent in to get cleaned (Father's Day Present was the cleaning) and when i replied yes she was a bit upset and asked why it wasn't cleaned ? 

Opinion : I think this is enough of an improvement to ask for perhaps a partial refund. What are your guys opinions ?

Zimbass

Good job mate. Sure that the satisfaction of seeing the results of your indiscretion will far outweigh the cold shoulder you will get for not sending it in for a clean  :D
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

redsetta

Looks like a nice job you've done there.
This is one of the many reasons we do it ourselves round here ;) ;D
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Bucktail

IMHO if they didn't bother to get that crud off the raceway on that reel, then they didn't clean it.  I would ask for my money back.
Just a jig-a-lo