Penn 117, regular or strange ?

Started by knife, June 25, 2013, 07:46:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knife

In each inner ring there are 3 slit for harness lugs.
I think they are after market and also the posts because I found that the screws are in metric/decimal size and maybe they don't come from the USA.
Now remains difficult to understand........make the post is fairly easy but not the rings !!
It seems very strange that some company or artisan has taken the trouble to make penn rings when these are available in USA at reasonable cost.

At least I solved the screws problem...in the hardware store below my home  ;D
knife
p.s.

Dominick

Knife:  Get a tapered screw and a nut with a larger hole than the hole in the ring.  Then get another nut of the correct size and tighten down to create the countersink needed.  I am pretty sure it can be done.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

broadway

Good idea Dominick, I was thinking of putting the side plate in a vise and using a flat punch a little bigger than the hole to make the countersink.  I like your idea way better and it may actually work or it'll crack the ring... one or the other.
Dom

erikpowell

I had the same issue when I ordered new inner & outter trim rings from scotts for my 114h.. they don't accommodate the countersunk screws, and the screw holes have indents on the backside which won't lay flush to the plate...unless you grind the indents down flat... :-\
i need some of those button head screws too...

knife

Hello
- I slightly enlarged the holes on the rings to send lower the screw head with the same "countersink"
effect.
- I found identical penn's screws but in metric/decimal size.
Thanks for your precious advices

knife