Penn 117, regular or strange ?

Started by knife, June 25, 2013, 07:46:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knife

Hello,
I started to restore my penn 14/0-117 and I have verified that there are anomalies in the screws post and in the side rings holes.
The holes screws on the rings do not have the countersink and the screw head remains out with a bad aesthetic effect and unpleasant to the touch.
The peculiar thing is that the countersink is present in the black meterial holes, below the rings.
Also the rings material appear different, not chromed but stainless steel  :-\
Furthermore, these screws (11 per side) have a strange diameter of mm. 3.8 while on other major penn as the 115 and 116 they have a diameter of mm. 4,1.
(sorry, I dont know the inch size) I ordered new screws size 39-13 for 117L,  according to the penn table to replace these but I'm afraid that will not have this diameter.....
Quite normal or the old owner has changed something with after market products ?
Now I have brought many parts to chrome and I hope will be a nice job.
Thanks
knife

Shark Hunter

I have never seen plates like that. If they are indeed stainless. I think some button head screws would be in order here.
Life is Good!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ron Jones

I agree. In fact, I've done it.

I have a 113 with 4 inside rings and the screw heads stick out just like that. Some day I'll replace them with button heads.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Shark Hunter

You nailed that one Alan! He has four inner rings.
Life is Good!

knife

Hi,
inside and outer rings have not the countersink holes
I'm waiting the screws from Mystic Reel Parts but I think they will not go well.
If I need the button heads (out Penn parts supply) I can ordered stainless steel screws.
With your help I just need to know which size is equivalent to mm 3,8
Thanks in advance for the support.
p.s.
Remains to understand what kind of animal I have at home  :-[

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

George4741

Quote from: knife on June 25, 2013, 07:46:55 PM
The holes screws on the rings do not have the countersink and the screw head remains out with a bad aesthetic effect and unpleasant to the touch.
The peculiar thing is that the countersink is present in the black meterial holes, below the rings.

As you say, the black sideplates have countersunk holes.  Regardless of the type of screw you use, you probably won't be able to properly tighten and seat the screws on these rings.  It will lead to problems.  I agree with Alan and the others.  You have four inside rings and the outer rings must be changed to the correct ones.
  George
viurem lliures o morirem

knife

If I have four inside rings as you say, why only two of these (inner rings in the photo) have, as right,  the slots to insert the harness lug ?
I think these rings are born correctly for inside and outside, everything else is a mystery for now.
We need C.S.I.  ;D
knife

Bryan Young

Probably aftermarket rings.  You will probably need different screws for that or you could counter punch them if you do dare.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

knife

I think you're right and I believe there are after market parts in this penn, rings and and maybe the posts.
I say this because before disassembling the reel I verified that the horizontal spool clearance (3/4 mm) was greater than in my penn 10/0 - 116
Could be this for longer posts (not original) or for other reason?

knife

Shark Hunter

The problem you are going to run into with the button heads, is it will catch on the eccentric lever.
You need to get the correct rings before you go any further.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

That much play is normal on those, all you need is a few of these to adjust it:
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/154-117.aspx

I believe with the exception of the inner rings, everything else is stock on that reel.
Get a set of these also and your set:
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/2-117-O.aspx

Here is the chematic, just in case you want to order some more parts:
https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/117l.pdf

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

George4741

Quote from: knife on June 26, 2013, 01:47:24 PM
If I have four inside rings as you say, why only two of these (inner rings in the photo) have, as right,  the slots to insert the harness lug ?

You're right, it is strange. :-\   
viurem lliures o morirem

BMITCH

Has to be after market. Unless there is no photo of where the lugs on top fit through. If the other rings have the slots....then four inside rings. Right?
luck is the residue of design.

broadway

Knife,
   How many slits do you have on each inner ring to accommodate the harness lugs ... there should be 3 on each.
If not maybe you got a Penn "quality control" problem... hey, the government does it with our currency from time to time, why not Penn?
That's if it's not just 4 inner rings ;)
Dom