retiring to Maui

Started by wolvie, June 26, 2013, 05:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolvie

Hi folks,

The best boss I ever had is lucky enough to be retiring to Maui and plans to get into surf fishing, although he may escalate to kayak fishing or other methods.  I was wondering if anyone could suggest a contact or good forum which he could join to help him in this endeavor.  I do see comments about fishing in Hawaii on the board, so I am hoping someone can provide a tip or two.   

Thanks in advance for any  help!

David

Ron Jones

Bryan will correct anything I say wrong here but after living here for a bit this is what I have learned.

1. You do not surf fish on Hawaii. You slide, whip or plunk.
2. Whipping is basically fishing from shore with lures. Everything you would expect is the same except that the fish you can expect to catch range from 1-100+ pounds and their isn't really a way to target a specific species.
3. Sliding is an expensive, complicated time consuming deal that I have no interest in.
4 Plunking is good old suf fishing with bait. This is usually using heavy gear targeting larger species of fish you would know as yellow fin tuna and Giant Trevally.

Wherever you are fishing, you need to bring a tackle shop. If you are bait fishing you can expect to leave lead in the reef, at least I haven't figured out how to get most of it back. Fast reels and long poles allow you to get distance and keep the bait off the rocks/reef and that seems to be the awnser.

Maui apparently actually has an opportunity to catch something from time to time, so bait selection will be important. If you are whipping the good old curly tailed grub can't really be beat. For soaking bait squid is the preferred choice. But don't ask for squid, most don't know what it is as they call it something I have a hard time pronouncing.

As with the rest of the world. The number one piece of advice is to buy a local a beer and see if you can get him to take you to the shore. I hope your boss has a good time.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

wolvie

Thanks for the feedback.  Maybe I should put together a goodie bag for him to take with him so he does not have to have items shipped.  Is there anything in particular it would be better to bring with you rather than try to find on the island?  Even getting him a shopping list of what to bring would probably be a big help.   

Thanks again!

Dominick

Quote from: noyb72 on June 26, 2013, 06:27:17 PM
But don't ask for squid, most don't know what it is as they call it something I have a hard time pronouncing.

Probably calamari with a Hawaiian accent.  ;D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

tcat103

Quote from: noyb72 on June 26, 2013, 06:27:17 PM
For soaking bait squid is the preferred choice. But don't ask for squid, most don't know what it is as they call it something I have a hard time pronouncing.

Squid = Ika
Anytime Baby!

Kau Grown

Aloha, I have a friend that lives in Maui, he owns and runs a fishing tour business there. He does kayak fishing, shore fishing day and night and rents out fishing gear. His name is Jon Jon and is one of the best fishing guides with tons of experience! Check out his website for more info and contact information. Localfishingknowlege.com

If you do contact him tell him Rob sent you and he'll hook you up!

Aloha
Check out my pro athlete page on FB for more action!
"Rob Wong Yuen - Pro Kayak Angler"
Tours:Extreme808Kayak@gmail.com