113HN Reel

Started by joel8080, June 27, 2013, 11:59:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joel8080

Is any one out there producing a SS gear sleeve or plan on making them out of SS for the Penn 113HN?, it seems to be the only part that need's updateing on the reel aside from the additional bearings & the metal Star drag that was a upsate by Penn.

Joel 8080
Oceanside,California

Dominick

In my opinion they also need to update the flimsy dog spring. Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

joel8080

I agree with you 100% they are poor at best but I have had no problems in eather of my reels with the springs, but a spring a little bit heavier would be great.

Joel 8080
Oceanside,California

Alto Mare

Same here, no problems with mine. Dominick, if you need them stiffer, nest two springs together.
The Tank is packed and I don't feel like taking it apart again, but if you need to have it, I could add another spring.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

basto

Are you guys talking about the "tank" or the Baja? I agree that the Baja`s dog springs appear to be a little light.
The gear sleeve on the Baja is a better, more efficient design than the earlier Senators, so I don`t think it needs to be SS.
Just my humble opinion.
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Alto Mare

Ooops, I think you'e right Basto, they probably talking about the Baja.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

basto

Hi Sal
I just looked up the SS gear sleeve for my Torque 200 because it is very similar to the Baja`s sleeve and they both are part 98..., but the Torque`s is about 1/2 inch longer. Interestingly, the same size sleeve is used in the 100 and 300 also.
I`m now wondering if the inside diameter of the drag washers is the same for the Torque and Baja.

Alto Mare

Basto, the part nuber 98 is used for any sleeves, the second number determines the size. I don't have those reels, but from looking at scotts I noticed that the 98-100 will work with the 200 & 300, not the 113HN. Also, the 5-100 main gear will work with the 113HN, but not the 200 & 300.

joel8080

It's the Baja were talking about the gear sleeve is beefer then my Senators but I worry about the top of the sleeve where the handle sits can it take the same torque as a SS sleeve, as for the dog springs can they be doubled up ? it would be a quick fix to that problem.

I have had no problem's with the 2 Baja's that I have and they are proberly my favorite all around reel I have them about 6 years and they have never lost a beat but I would like to stay ahead of possible problems.

Joel8080
Oceanside,California

Norcal Pescador

While it's good to lightly grease all the internals of a reel to prevent corrosion, I don't grease where the dog slides against the bridge. I've had sluggish dog action until I wiped the grease away. ;)
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Ron Jones

Absolutly,
I've actually reassembled a reel and had it go knuckle buster on me. Solution? wipe excess grease off bridge.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

basto

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 28, 2013, 09:14:42 AM
Basto, the part nuber 98 is used for any sleeves, the second number determines the size. I don't have those reels, but from looking at scotts I noticed that the 98-100 will work with the 200 & 300, not the 113HN. Also, the 5-100 main gear will work with the 113HN, but not the 200 & 300.
Thanks Sal!  I have learned a lot from you.

Ron Jones

Looking at the ratchets on Scott's I'd say they are different.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"