Calcutta 700??

Started by Bonecracker, June 27, 2013, 02:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonecracker

Was given a Calcutta 700 that the handle will not turn or move the main gears. Main body is in good shape, handle was major league corroded but was able to get off the main gear. Once inside there was alot of sand and grit which I was able to remove. But I need to take apart the main body/gears and need a toturial. Help please!!

Keta

This is close enough,
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=29.0

Your problem is most likely the drive shaft bushing.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Fishnmike

The tutorial that Keta posted will work fine. I've done a couple 700's and they are just like the 400.

Bonecracker

Got her apart but had to remove the small back clip that holds the main drive shaft in place. The main drive shaft has some indentations/wear down toward the bottom of the drive shaft making it almost impossible to remove the drag washers and main gear. Looking at the main drive shaft, it does look staight though! Finally got them apart and cleaned up good and she went back together much easier than the later. I was really hoping to see a toturial of the brake down of the whole drive assemble vs just removing the drag assembly and main gears. The handle is not in the best shape but usable. The wooden knob turns easily but the locking screw broke off in the badly corroded hole, not to mention the plastic covering and lock nut was toast. The main bolt that holds the handle on is ok though! I think I see lite at the end of da tunnel! :D     

Fishnmike

Yeah the drive shaft will get some burrs on it that make removing the washers and driver gear tough. Use a small file and knock down the burrs.

As for the handle there are a lot of after market power handles that change the whole nature of that reel. Alan has some, Smooth Drag has some and there are some on ebay that work very well.  I changed all mine and now use my 700s as sturgeon reels with great success.

Bonecracker

Can someone give me a link to a totural on this main gear section,drag, handle section of this Calcutta 700?? ??? I just cannot get it put back together correctly for some reason!! 

Ken_D

Hi. I just did my first 700, and I had some issues, but got it going fine. The pinion yoke threw me for a while.. there is a left and right side, not interchangable. Look for the bevel on one leg of the the yoke, which needs to marry with the ramp on the brake plate.

Once you have the non crank side looked after, put the spool in, place the brake plate through the axle, to the frame, ~then~ put the side plate on, being careful to line up the thumbscrews in the rounded slots on the brake plate. If you look at the Shimano forum, page 2 of the tutorials, LadyE put up a link to a Thai site, that helped me through the roughest spot, which was the clutch cam setup with the coil spring.