PENN 12vs question and help please

Started by Kau Grown, June 29, 2013, 10:59:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kau Grown

aloha,
I need some help on a PENN 12vs, I'm helping a friend clean and service his reel. I don't know to much about servicing reels and am trying to learn as much as I can. I have only worked on a few shimano tld single speed LD, a couple of PENN 16vs and a PENN 975 star drag reel so far. Not sure why my buddy wants me to work on his reel since he knows that I don't really know what to look for when it's not working properly! hahaha but I'll give it a try. My question is about the adjustable clicker, It seems to only work in free spool and won't work once the lever drag is engaged..... Is this how it supposed to work? I did open it and cleaned out the clicker assembly, greased with new grease. It seems that when I engage the drag it pushes the spool to the left side plate and the clicker button won't reach the clicker plate it rubs against. I apologize if I am not saying the proper name of the parts. 

Also, I notice while spinning it in free spool it has a very soft clicking noise when the reel sits in it's normal position but goes away if it is tilted on it's left or right side. The spool does seem to have a little bit of play or slop in free spool. It already had the noise before I cleaned it out and after I cleaned it, regreased drags and gears with cals and oiled the bearings the noise is still there..... It doesn't seem to affect or slow down free spool, and I now have about 40 seconds of free spool with the slight clicking noise. Is this normal also?

Thank you guys for any help in advance. 
Check out my pro athlete page on FB for more action!
"Rob Wong Yuen - Pro Kayak Angler"
Tours:Extreme808Kayak@gmail.com

alantani

the 50 vsx post will be very close.  the shifter is the hardest part. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Kau Grown

Thanks Alan! I did take the reel and clicker apart, cleaned, greased and oiled all parts following your 50vsx tuturial but I don't know what the deal is with the clicker not working while the drag is engaged and the clicking noise while in freespool..... It's my buddy's reel so I'm not sure if thats how the clicker is supposed to be or not.
Check out my pro athlete page on FB for more action!
"Rob Wong Yuen - Pro Kayak Angler"
Tours:Extreme808Kayak@gmail.com