Heavy leader to hook?

Started by Brendan, July 02, 2013, 03:14:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallacewt

salty,that looks diff; from the 1st knot.im a bit confused about the breaking strain we are talking about.80lb or 400lb+mono.  no sleeves i presume.cheers

saltydog

I use it with all my fishing line from 6 to 400# mono, just a different amount of twists the heavier you get the less twists you use. With 100 and up I only twist around 3 times, the lighter you go the more you use.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Brendan

I did not think I would have this much response, I really like the Baja knot for my application. 100 pound leader for live bait. Soon fishing will go on the back burner and I will test the numerous others. Thanks for the reply's & tight lines. Brendan

JGB

Give crimping a try. If you are consistent you can get very high strength connections that don't fatigue with use.
If you give it a try use Jinkai Aluminum crimps as they are more forgiving. Personally I crimp everything from 30# and up. For sub 30# I form a double with a 14 turn Bimini and tie that to the hook.

For typical crimping expect better than 90% ( typically better than 95%) of the absolute breaking strain of the line.
An example is when I crimp 35# Black Water  shock flouro the crimp is good to 46# rather than 32-35# for any knot other than a double.
Palomar on this line is good to 35# and weakens with use and needs to be retied between fish.

Jim N.

saltydog

That's a good point for most to remember with knots and big fish. Always retie after a big fish because you never know ig he has in some way compromised your knot and the feeling of loosing one will get your attention.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

wallacewt

maxpowers

Quote from: Newell Nut on September 04, 2013, 12:26:38 PM
It is hard for me to change without solid proof so I did a lot of testing this morning. I tied 80 lb mono to my bench vise handle and a foot away was a swivel. Using 40 lb momoi diamond tied to my scale with a SDJK I tested the above knot tied to the swivel. It broke consistently around 28 lb. The uni knot was breaking at 34 lb. and last I tied the SDJK to the swivel and it broke at 45 lb. From this day forward the SDJK is my terminal knot.

Safety note: don't do these test with a hook. I started testing with an 8/0 4x circle hook on my vise with some duct tape on it so it would not fly around on a break. I broke a bunch of knots trying to get all these tied correctly before using the scale. On one of the SDJK knots I gave it a hard pull and it was wrapped around my hand with a heavy glove. There was a break and I felt something hit my hand. My first thought was the 80 lb broke and the swivel hit me. The hook shank snapped and was sticking through the glove between my first two knuckles. Fortunately it did not go deep and only lost a few drops of blood.

Newell Nut - could you test the spangler knot with the same 40 lbs momoi?  I like it because of how small a knot it is and the fact that I can send the lines through the eyes 3 to increase the knot strength.

Thanks,

Newell Nut

If I can find a picture of a spangler I will try it Sunday. Fishing tomorrow.

Dominick

Quote from: Newell Nut on September 07, 2013, 12:22:32 AM
If I can find a picture of a spangler I will try it Sunday. Fishing tomorrow.
Maybe Normslanding will post a diagram.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bunnlevel Sharker

Crimps weaken light line over time more thank knots do
Grayson Lanier

Newell Nut

I fished with my drag locked down today with the SDJK for all knots and caught 5 really nice red snappers and no breakoffs or cut offs. I horsed them away from the reef fast and never gave up an inch.

The sad part is the season is closed. I was hoping for Grouper and Mother Nature had another plan.

Newell Nut

Tested the spangler knot with 40 Momoi Diamond as my other test. First test broke at 27 and the second broke at 29. With the now stressed piece of line I tied the SDJK and it broke at 40.

The knot that is tied to the scale handle that did not break in any of the test was the Trilene knot. it usually goes to 45 before breaking. The problem with the trilene when in a hurry you may get the two wraps crossed and then it breaks around 30 because it cuts itself. It is a great knot but if I don't were my cheaters on the boat then I can't see if the wraps cross. That is why the SDJK works better for me because it is a one wrap on the hook eye and I can tie it without my cheaters.

If my sunglasses had bifocals then I may opt for the Trilene for 5 more lbs of break strength.

Trilene or SDJK in my opinion are the best.

Shark Hunter

I prefer crimps myself. I use about 10 'of cable for the hook, then about 20 ft of 400 lb mono on a sliding trace before the main line, but I am targeting Sharks.
Life is Good!

Bunnlevel Sharker

I do like crimps for that cause I can do the long twist for about a foot to keep the weight off the line and leader
Grayson Lanier

wallacewt

hey guys
the question was
"what is the knot recommendation"