Heavy leader to hook?

Started by Brendan, July 02, 2013, 03:14:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brendan

Once you have tied your Braid to Mono, or Mono to Mono, and you have 80 pound plus leader, what is a knot recommendation for tying hook or swivel? I have had no failures, but standard knots are difficult, and hard to cinch down.
Thanks in advance, Brendan.

john2244

When I am fishing mono or FC from 80# to 200# I use the Irwin Knot.  Think that is how it is spelled.  Because you go around the eye of the hook two times with the line this knot will test as well as a double San Diego knot.  It also pulls down very small in relation to many other knots.  I live in San Clemente only 10 minutes from you, send me a PM if you want to meet and I will show you how I tie the knot.

John

RowdyW

Maybe a sleeve & crimp? Up to 80# I use a UniKnot unless it is real stiff leader then its time to start crimping either single or double sleeves.

erikpowell

Quote from: RowdyW on July 02, 2013, 04:41:49 AM
Maybe a sleeve & crimp? Up to 80# I use a UniKnot unless it is real stiff leader then its time to start crimping either single or double sleeves.

x2 .. I do the same.

wallacewt

hi brendon
you might like to have a look at a centauri knot.
you can tie it on any hook or swivel,no matter how thick or stiff
tag end lies paralel along your leader and doesnt stick out.
cinch it up tight if you want to or leave it loose for
live bait.easy to tie.
cheers

Nuvole

Quote from: wallacewt on July 02, 2013, 05:02:35 AM
hi brendon
you might like to have a look at a centauri knot.
you can tie it on any hook or swivel,no matter how thick or stiff
tag end lies paralel along your leader and doesnt stick out.
cinch it up tight if you want to or leave it loose for
live bait.easy to tie.
cheers

+1

Dominick

Quickest and easiest knot is the Palomar Knot.  Live bait use the Baja Knot.  I have a hard time with this one.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

TomT

Quickest and easiest knot is the Palomar Knot.  Live bait use the Baja Knot.  I have a hard time with this one.  Dominick

X2   ;D
Tom T

Ron Jones

Have to look up the Baja knot.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

BMITCH

Palomar, EASY to tie and strong.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

broschro

the world fair  is supper strong

CapeFish

Quote from: Brendan on July 02, 2013, 03:14:17 AM
     Once you have tied your Braid to Mono, or Mono to Mono, and you have 80 pound plus leader, what is a knot recommendation for tying hook or swivel? I have had no failures, but standard knots are difficult, and hard to cinch down.
Thanks in advance, Brendan.

In South Africa we use a knot we call the Figure 8, knot works extremely well in heavy lines making a very neat small, knot. It is fairly similar to a uni-knot/centauri knot. For thick leaders you only have to make 3 wraps. It works as well to join main line (mono only not braid!) to leader. The knot is small enough that you can still cast a 1.2mm leader without knocking the rings out of the rod. You can also use it in cable, in cable it only needs 2 wraps, I use it to knot 1mm cable to hooks.

SoCalAngler

80 lb and above I like to crimp

ChileRelleno

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

maxpowers

look up spangler knot..Strongest knot that i know of so far and it is very very small and super easy to tie