Couple of questions - Cleaning the interior / spool bearings.

Started by errock_22, July 02, 2013, 03:58:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

errock_22

Hi Guys,

First post.... After reading all of the great information, I've finally worked up the nerve to start working on my Accurate reels. I've pulled my BX2-500 apart, so far so good, but it never occurred to me that I've never really noticed any posts (I'm sure I've missed it) about what to use / how to clean the side-plates and parts once everything is apart. Do you guys just wipe it out with a rag or is there some kind of solvent I should use?

Also, now that I actually have the spool out of the reel and taken apart, I've noticed that there are bearings under the drag plates, which I assume are the spool bearings (remove shield and lube), and bearings in each of the side plates, which I assume are the end bearings (pack with grease, re-install rubber shields). Is this correct or should all of these bearings be considered spool bearings?

Thanks in advance.... I feel like such a noob.  ::)

MAReelMan

When i cleaned mine, anything dirty went into some paint thinner.

I have heard of guys using WD-40 (I have used as well) that works too.

Once clean i set it on a paper towel a hit it with compressed air to blow any out that I may have missed.

Bryan Young

Quote from: errock_22 on July 02, 2013, 03:58:13 AM
Hi Guys,

First post.... After reading all of the great information, I've finally worked up the nerve to start working on my Accurate reels. I've pulled my BX2-500 apart, so far so good, but it never occurred to me that I've never really noticed any posts (I'm sure I've missed it) about what to use / how to clean the side-plates and parts once everything is apart. Do you guys just wipe it out with a rag or is there some kind of solvent I should use?

Also, now that I actually have the spool out of the reel and taken apart, I've noticed that there are bearings under the drag plates, which I assume are the spool bearings (remove shield and lube), and bearings in each of the side plates, which I assume are the end bearings (pack with grease, re-install rubber shields). Is this correct or should all of these bearings be considered spool bearings?

Thanks in advance.... I feel like such a noob.  ::)
Accurate does a good job of coating everything internal with grease.  I take a rag and wipe off the old grease then with a toothbrush, apply marine grease.

Regarding your bearings, you are correct.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bunnlevel Sharker

If there is rust or stuf like that, the ratty tooth brush and a little grease scrubs it clean then it's wiped of and greased
Grayson Lanier