gears

Started by john2244, July 02, 2013, 05:12:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john2244

Not too long ago Sal posted a picture of various gears.  I have spent 20 minutes trying to find that post with no luck.  Would someone please direct me to that posting.  I want to compare 114(2.0) gears with 349(2.3) gears.

thanks,

John

Mandelstam

"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Alto Mare

Is this what you're looking for John?
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=5761.0

Karl, thanks for trying.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

George4741

John,
I don't think Sal has a 349 main gear in his photo.  If you don't have an example of each, I'd be willing to disassemble my reels and post a photo here.  Is that a 349 or 349H gear you want to see?
  George 
viurem lliures o morirem

john2244

Sal, thanks that is the one.

George,
Thanks for the offer.  I have a couple sets of the 114 gears and a 349(2.3) reel.  I wanted compare the two gear sets without taking the 349 apart. If the 349(2.3) gears seem to be as strong as the 114 gears I may put a Newell Wahoo kit on the 349.  It will make the 349 the same width as the Narrow 114 I have now.

John

Keta

I have both 349H and 349 gears in my spare parts box if you need and dimensions or a photo.  The 114H is a much heavier built reel.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

john2244

Thanks Lee but I want to compare the black side plate 114 gears to a 349(2.3) gear set.  I will open up my 349 and take a look.  I think I will probably go ahead and install the Newell Wahoo kit on my 349.  I know the Wahoo kit was designed for the higher geared 349H but unlike most I like a lower gear set in most of my reels.

John

Keta

I haven't stripped my 114 down yet, it's time to fish.  AND....I'm getting reels in for R&R that are needed ASAP, not many all winter and now I get them.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

George4741

John, the 349 main gear diameter is just slightly larger than the 113H, maybe by 1/16 inch or less.  The gear teeth are the same size as the 113H.  All of the 349 gears I've seen are steel and I imagine they are as strong as, if not stronger than the 113H.
  George
viurem lliures o morirem

john2244

George, thanks for the gear info .

John