Fishing tips for So-Cal

Started by jlezama, July 03, 2013, 07:13:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlezama

HI All
        Been away for a little while, I guess work finally caught up :D. But so much for that, I am going visiting some friends in LA and we were planning to catch a twilight trip from Newport landing. Any suggestions? I have the impression that the fishing is slightly different from the SF Bay area, with the water perhaps being slightly warmer. I have a bunch of light irons and jigs but not many jig sticks I can take with me. Most of my stuff is for rock fishing (6-7 feet medium fast/fast action)..
Any recommendations are welcome and boat suggestions are really appreciated
Thanks so much
Juan

SoCalAngler

I live in OC and fish the local landings a bit. I have not fished a twilight trip in many years but for the most part one or two 12-20 lb bass gear setups should serve you well. Twilight use to be all about the sand bass but not so much now as in years past. As of late a lot of sculpin have been in the counts as well as some SB and cuda. A small pack each of hooks from about 1 to 2/0 and some egg sinkers from about 1/2 to 1 oz will be good for bait be it live or squid strips (the boat should gave both). Some leadheads in the same weights, maybe a couple of 1 1/2 oz would not hurt, if you want to fish plastic swimbaits. Lastly one pack of baracuda leaders, 6"-8" metal leader with about a 1/0 hook and you should be set. I mostly fish out of Daveys Locker which is about 200 yards south of Newport Landing, both landings should only have one twilight trip a night so no need to recommend a boat, just jump on the one that fits your schedule.

Ron Jones

SoCal is spot on. Your rods will be just fine. If the cuda show up I like to toss crocodile's at them, just to change things up. Also, twin tail scampi's haven't been beaten in 40 years for soCal bottom fish.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

jlezama

Hi Socal and Ron and to all readers
                Took the trip on saturday on the freelance and got 3/4 skunked but that's fishing and its always good no matter what.... bait was good, but the captain anchored pretty much in only two spots... and fish were uncooperative. I figured he was seeing markers and got hopeful. Threw everything in my arsenal and between me and my friends only got a couple of shaker calicos and one keeper sand bass,  In either case it was definitely a different experience from nor cal, hoping for a longer trip next time, maybe I get to meet some of you southern california seasoned anglers
Thanks so much for your advice
see you soon
Juan

SoCalAngler

Juan,

The fishing locally has been hit and miss as of late. Private boated to Catalina last friday in hopes of yellowtail but no yellow love. Fishing was slow on the west end but I was lucky to catch 4 calicos and one cuda on the iron, also got one cali on the plastics, so not too bad. All fish released.

The season is starting late this year so hopefuly things will get rolling soon.

I head down to SD on the 28th to hopefuly chase some BFT, if your still around come on down.

boya544

In my experience twilight boats going out of Long Beach have better twilight runs Either going out on the Enterprise or The Native Sun out of Terminal Island. Not much luck with Irons but bucktail jigs worked well for sand bass in the 5lb range. Right now be prepared Barracuda are showing up on the bottom. Great fight using light gear. Long Beach right now for twilight are using live squid.