Penn 6500ss felt washer

Started by cleanhull, July 03, 2013, 07:13:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cleanhull

Does anyone know the dimensions (od,id, thickness) of the felt handle seal washer (17N-6500) for a Penn 6500ss.  I recently picked the reel up and tore it down to discover it is in amazing shape except for the seal washer was missing. 

Also, after putting the reel back together, I was left with 1 'spare part'.  It is a small very flimsy, paper thin metal washer.  My best guess is it was on one side of the ratchet, but that is only a guess.  For now it will be condemned to my spare parts bin unless someone tells me it is integral to the reel.

Thanks for your help.  I just found this site a few months ago and all the money I have been pouring into building my Jeep is now going to building my reels!   

redsetta

G'day and welcome ch,
Re: The felt handle seal - don't worry about replacing it, it's not necessary.
Quote from Scott's 'Penn Parts' site:
"Penn decided these actually trapped more dirt than they kept out, so they stopped using these."
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

cleanhull

The purpose of the felt washer is just to keep out dirt right?  Replacing with a silicone washer wouldn't make sense since the rest of the reel isn't water tight.  Thoughts?

Alto Mare

Those have been discontinued, as Justin mentioned, you'll get away without it.
But if you need to have it, try the felt furniture scratch protector and cut your own.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

cleanhull

Thanks.  I read the post for the furniture pads, but if you gurus say I don't need it than I will do without.  Any ideas on the paper thin washer?

Alto Mare

If you mean for drags, no paper thin washers on those. I'm going to recommend you go with these, they're 1mm thick:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6597.msg56103#msg56103
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

cleanhull

Nope, not the drag.  Upgrading drags on all my 650ss is what got me to this page and now into the practice of buying even more reels to tear apart.  It is a tiny washer that I can't even find now to take a picture.  Oh well seems fine without.

Alto Mare

Has to be a shim. I've opened up many of these reels and never run into one that had a shim by the main gear. It has to be a shim for under the spool to get the line to lay flat. See how the line is laying on the spool, you mightneed that shim. You could replace the teflon thrust washer with a 1mm carbon fiber washer, that usually does it. I use a6-60 CFwasher, the ID needs to be enlarged just a little.