5501C3 Drag

Started by MAReelMan, July 03, 2013, 08:16:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MAReelMan

I have a 5501 CL3 with a fairly light drag. The specs say it supports up to 15# max drag.
I have the star down pretty tight and its only around 8-9lbs of drag.

What could be the possible reason for this? And can i cause damage by cranking down on the start to hard?

This is on the stock drag discs, I have carbontex on order due in any day.

akfish

I would be **very** reluctant to push that reel to 15# of drag. The components of the reel simply won't tolerate it -- the gears will shred, the anti-reverse will fail, etc. I suspect that specs are incorrect, or they could have been measuring drag with the spool almost empty. If you have 8# of drag with a full spool, the drag will about double when the spool is empty. Be happy with 8# of drag; that's plenty for fishing 20# or even 30# line.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

I only use older Ambassadeurs, so 8lb. to 12lb. is about all I ever get and its fine with me.  I briefly played with Revo's and they all had poor quality Belleville washers () that weakened within a season and dropped their miracle drags to dirt.  Check them and maybe replace them at the same time.

Hard for me to believe that the classic Ambassadeur cannot handle more drag than the Revo which is basically pot metal on the inside.

MAReelMan

Im cool with the 8# i got out of it.
I just had to really crank down on the drag to reach that. Was worried it may do damage?

Snagged2

If you "overtighten" the star wheel to increase drag,, then either the threads on the gearshaft till start to pull and distort, or the threads inside the star will..eventually..

I'm impressed you got that much (8-9#'s) of drag..I'd be happy with 5-7 and if I needed more, use my thumb!!

Regarding the hype and claims,, IMO,, it's just that... ;D

MAReelMan

Yah i think im going to back it off some.

I also have some carbontex washers coming in, which should help alot.

The washers in it are stock, who knows how worn they are.

alantani

i've pulled on these with more than 10 pounds of drag and damaged the gears.  are the gears of your reel still ok?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

MAReelMan

Gears are fine, i never cranked it down over 9lbs. What drag do you recommend for this reel?

alantani

2 to 5 pounds.  it's a pretty small reel....   :-\

MAReelMan

What do you recommend for the max drag on the 6501C4?

alantani

pretty much the same.  the gears and frames are pretty light.  for local fishing, there is not a single fish out here that cannot be beat with just 2-3 pounds of drag.  white sea bass are perhaps the one exception. 

MAReelMan

Ill be fishing for stripers and bluefish with them out of my kayak.

Ill probably stick it at 5lb and leave it be. My kayak usually ends up being the main drag anyway lol.

alantani

then this drag range should work just fine. 

jonathan.han

Quote from: MAReelMan on July 08, 2013, 04:15:05 PM
Ill be fishing for stripers and bluefish with them out of my kayak.

Ill probably stick it at 5lb and leave it be. My kayak usually ends up being the main drag anyway lol.

If you need more drag or are experiencing too much "towage", toss out a small drift sock. A 30" drift chute should stop you really good.
raw instinct

Bryan Young

My 6500C3 is fished max 5#.  If I need more, that means I need a different small reel.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D