Longer Stand Screws for a Penn Beachmaster 160

Started by Bucktail, July 04, 2013, 12:24:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bucktail

I'm fixing up a friends 160 which was in pretty bad shape.  The stand and screws were extremely corroded and two of the screws were broken off in it.  OK, no problem.  I cal Hal (member name boat0501) and he's got a used stand in decent shape that I could use.

Anyway, now I can't get the screws on the handle side to poke through the frame enough to get the threads to bite into the stand.  I've even tried  clamping the side plate and rings together to see if I could get one thread in the stand, but that didn't work either.

Today I went over to see Scott at Mystic Reel Parts https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Home.aspx to see what he thought.  He brought out a few brand new screws (32-22) and we tried them.  Still not working.  I left with the new screws thinking I could eventually make them work, but to no avail.

Now I'm thinking, with all you Penn experts here (not that Scott isn't, but I didn't ask him this) that perhaps someone knew of a screw (perhaps from another model reel) that is a tiny bit longer but would still fit into the Penn 160 frame and the 30-65 stand.

Anybody? ???

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Just a jig-a-lo

john2244

I checked my Penn 160 and I have a few extra screws that should fit OK.   I have a couple the same length and a couple a little longer.
Send me a PM with your address and I will mail them out.
John

Bucktail

Thanks for the offer.  I appreciate it.  And perhaps I can try that.  However, if they are the standard screws from a 160 I don't think they will work.  As I said, I even got brand new ones from Scott today and they don't work either.  The reason you have two different size screws is because that's how they're made.  The smaller screws (32-14CH) are for the left side where the frame is a bit thinner.  The larger screws (32-22) are for the right side where the frame is thicker.

I think I need a screw that's about two threads longer to get it to bite into the 30-65 size stand. :-\
Just a jig-a-lo

john2244

The screw length I checked was for the handle side. I have that size and longer screws available if you are interested.

Bucktail

Just a jig-a-lo