What test line?.

Started by joel8080, July 04, 2013, 11:20:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

If we are talking straight mono then I would look at something like this:

1/0: 20 (Alan recommends 30 on 501s for kayaks.)
2/0-3/0: 20-30
4/0: 50
6/0:  60-80
etc.

With all of the upgrades available, it really is a question of capacity. A long long time ago on some forum other than this one Alan Tani philosophically designed his ultimate reels. He based his design around 300 yards of a specific braid weight class. To me that means an ocean reel should hold 300 yards of whatever line you chose and that is where I came up with the mono list, according to MysticParts.com the 1/0 doesn't quite make it but I have had my heart broke one too many times by fishing the salt with less than 20 pound test line.

Ron

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

Quote from: noyb72 on July 05, 2013, 07:04:21 PM

With all of the upgrades available, it really is a question of capacity.
Ron

Well said Ron ;). The 4/0 is rated at 40/50lb mono, with all of the upgrades that we've been doing, you could easely double that.
The same goes when choosing a rods.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Bryan Young on July 05, 2013, 02:53:21 PM
Quote from: Shark Hunter on July 05, 2013, 01:42:20 AM
You answered my question Dom. I was wondering what you had the Tank spooled with. Where I fish in Florida from shore.The sand bars are loaded with shells and had 80lb power pro braid cut like it was thread on my 6/0. I already had my 9/0 spooled with 100lb braid. I don't want to get cut off like that again. Where the line got cut, it was at least 100' from the top shot, so thats not an option for me. We fouund it washed ashore the next day with the hook still on the other end, Thats how I know it was at least 100'.
I am gearing up for next years trip and have my 12/0 spooled with 100lb mono and the 14/0 with 130lb. i'll probably spool the 9/0 with 80lb.
I wonder why your braid had cut.  Braid does not cut that easily especially being 100' from the top shot and fishing from the beach.
I wish I knew Bryan. We were doing some pretty deep drops. Another shark could have ran into it. The Black tips were everywhere that night. I watch sharks on the sand, especially around May when the BHC is going on. (Big Hammerhead Challenge) there is a particular lady that calls herself Sharkgirl.
On her quest to win the BHC. She caught at least a Dozen sharks, mostly Bulls in the 8' to almost 9' range with a 12/0 and a 14/0 spooled with 130 lb mono. Most serious Shark Fisherman that fish off he Florida Coast from shore only use mono. Unless you are Albert and live in Hawaii. :D
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

Maybe the next best question is how much mono is out when you guys paddle your lines out?  Presuming that you want to have only mono out when setting your bait.  After that, you could go with hollow braid backing and splice the mono top shot.  This could give you an extra 150+ yardage than mono alone.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

100 to 200 yards out. My 14 holds 750 yards of 130lb mono. I think our drops were just too deep.
Live and Learn. This area of Navarre Beach has a new pier that was built in 2012 I believe. Where they dug out all the sand to make room for the pilings let lots of shells come ashore. I know I should just probably find a new place to fish, but I love it there. The condos are real close to the water.
Life is Good!