What test line?.

Started by joel8080, July 04, 2013, 11:20:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joel8080

Does any one know after Hot Rodding our Senator reels From 1/0 to 6/0 what test Mono line are they now able to handle?.

Thank You

Joel8080
Oceanside,California

Ron Jones

This is a question asked a lot. Alan has said you should have 25 to 33% drag of line breaking strength. But that isn't the whole story because you can get 20 fishable pounds of drag out of a narrow Jigmaster (same size as a 1/0) and it would seem silly to fish 80 pound line on that reel. However, fishing 40 pound braid on that reel would be more than reasonable. Lee has brought up that really thin braid is a pain and I agree, especially if their is a lot of it. So assuming we are talking braid line on fully hot rodded reels I would submit this list would be a good starting point.

1/0-2/0 = 40
3/0 = 50
4/0 = 60-80
6/0 = 80 - whatever you want

Anything bigger than that to me seems like a mono reel and should be fished the way they always have, just with more confidence. I'm sure someone will come along and blast me for something soon.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

joel8080

Ron

Honestly the numbers you put up are not far from my estimate I have done ever thing to my reels possible except double doging them, I will not pay the price they want for a Dremel here I could buy 2 in the States for the same price, latter on this year were going to CA to see the kids and I will pick up a Dremel and asst bits for it then. I often wonder do I need to double dog them I really would like to give the fish a fighting chance.

Joel8080
Oceanside,California

Ron Jones

I have used a hand drill with descent results. Just be slow and careful.  Double dogging really protects the fisherman rather than give the fish an advantage. Having a reel go double buster and forcing you to get medical atention only needs to happen once!!

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Dominick

Quote from: noyb72 on July 04, 2013, 11:34:40 PM
This is a question asked a lot. Alan has said you should have 25 to 33% drag of line breaking strength. But that isn't the whole story because you can get 20 fishable pounds of drag out of a narrow Jigmaster (same size as a 1/0) and it would seem silly to fish 80 pound line on that reel. However, fishing 40 pound braid on that reel would be more than reasonable. Lee has brought up that really thin braid is a pain and I agree, especially if their is a lot of it. So assuming we are talking braid line on fully hot rodded reels I would submit this list would be a good starting point.

1/0-2/0 = 40
3/0 = 50
4/0 = 60-80
6/0 = 80 - whatever you want

Anything bigger than that to me seems like a mono reel and should be fished the way they always have, just with more confidence. I'm sure someone will come along and blast me for something soon.

Ron
I'd like to weigh in here.  The 4/0 I use is the Tank.  I have it loaded with 80lb braid.  I only use the Tank on big game fish.  My 6/0 is stock and it is loaded with 80 lb mono.  Ron no one will cream you on this site for something like that.  They will either agree or respectfully disagree.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

You answered my question Dom. I was wondering what you had the Tank spooled with. Where I fish in Florida from shore.The sand bars are loaded with shells and had 80lb power pro braid cut like it was thread on my 6/0. I already had my 9/0 spooled with 100lb braid. I don't want to get cut off like that again. Where the line got cut, it was at least 100' from the top shot, so thats not an option for me. We fouund it washed ashore the next day with the hook still on the other end, Thats how I know it was at least 100'.
I am gearing up for next years trip and have my 12/0 spooled with 100lb mono and the 14/0 with 130lb. i'll probably spool the 9/0 with 80lb.
Life is Good!

Dominick

BTW the 80lb braid I got from Wayne (El Pescador) We were given stuff at the sign in at the WON Tuna Tournament.  I think I have some Jerry Brown 150 lb braid.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

I am just afraid to use it any more. I am a mono man now. However, my buddies reeled in a 6 foot Bull Shark on a un Tanked 4/0 with 80 lb braid, but most of the fight was done on a kayak to keep them from getting spooled. ;D
Life is Good!

joel8080

Ron

I just relised you quoted Braided line for what test to use, What test would you use for Mono line?.

Joel8080

Oceanside,California

BMITCH

Ron, thanks for the line class/reel recommendations. I'm totally into the braid line now. When I do use mono I use the reel for what it was intended to be used with. That's the reason I'm doing all the senator upgrades, for the braid. ;D
luck is the residue of design.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Shark Hunter on July 05, 2013, 01:42:20 AM
You answered my question Dom. I was wondering what you had the Tank spooled with. Where I fish in Florida from shore.The sand bars are loaded with shells and had 80lb power pro braid cut like it was thread on my 6/0. I already had my 9/0 spooled with 100lb braid. I don't want to get cut off like that again. Where the line got cut, it was at least 100' from the top shot, so thats not an option for me. We fouund it washed ashore the next day with the hook still on the other end, Thats how I know it was at least 100'.
I am gearing up for next years trip and have my 12/0 spooled with 100lb mono and the 14/0 with 130lb. i'll probably spool the 9/0 with 80lb.
I wonder why your braid had cut.  Braid does not cut that easily especially being 100' from the top shot and fishing from the beach.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Norcal Pescador

Bob,
Other factors on what gets put on the spool is how much line do you need/want and diameter. Some put braid on a reel just to give more capacity (fishing for very deep bottom dwellers) where they may not be extra big.

For diameter, 30 pound braid on a Jigmaster Junior comes in handy if you fish in areas that have a lot of drift and the smaller diameter cuts through the water better. Also it may be cost effective to put a higher test on a reel because it fills the spool more but you have no intention of exceeding the strength (physical and drag) of the reel. I've done this on a few of my reels. Like Dominick, I believe a 113H Tank can handle 80-pound braid.

While braid doesn't fare so well against rocks it cuts through kelp like a knife.

Joel, back to your original question about mono, you could probably jump up two or three line sizes on a "tanked" reel without any issues.
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

joel8080

Rob

Thank You, here we do 90% of our fishing is trolling and I like Mono for trolling more so then Braid.

Joel 8080
Oceanside,California

BMITCH

Rob, right on with the added capacity. I've been on a few tuna trips that turned into a tile fish trip. Very difficult to reach bottom in 600+ ft. Of water using at a minimum of 40# mono. The braid gets it done much better. Plus with the braid no stretch. And after you've fought a fish or two on braid the feeling of every head shake and tail pump is unequaled. It does have its draw backs also no stretch and will really put a hurt on you if your not careful. I try to always use some kind of tops hot of mono. For both of those reasons.
luck is the residue of design.

Bryan Young

Joel, from Penn Parts:

440 yards of 30# mono
     370 yards of 40# mono
     270 yards of 50# mono

Probably 175-200 yards of 80# mono.

The question is capacity.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D