Squidder 146 only producing 2.4lb drag max

Started by elgoog, July 05, 2013, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elgoog

Hi all -

I've got a Squidder 146 with CarbonTex drag washers that's only producing 2.4lb max drag with the star all the way tightened. I checked a few times to make sure the washers haven't popped out of the gear case but don't know if they're staying that way once I put everything together.
Also, is there a particular orientation for the pre-load spring that should be used that affects this? Edges or the peak of the curve touching the top washer on the drag stack?

Thanks in advance,
  elgoog

Bryan Young

That's pretty low.  It should be around 6-8# as a minimum max.  ???

My guess would be washer orientation based on your description.  You should have main gear, CF, keyed metal washer, CF, eared washer, CF, and keyed metal washer in the stack.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

I'm sure your eared washer got out of place when reassenbling the reel. Try this, you could also uase a piece of hose or an O-ring:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=333.msg570#msg570
If everything is where it should be, change the tension spring at the top of yourstack and you should be set.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

elgoog

I flipped the tension spring on top of the stack and got ~10lb max drag - I'm going to use it at ~6lb from my kayak. Thanks for the help :)

Alto Mare

Get yourself another tension spring, that one is gone. It will do for now but won't last long.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

elgoog

Already ordered another tension spring. Thanks Bryan and Alto.