Shumano charter special 2000 ld how to

Started by fishy76, July 06, 2013, 03:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishy76

I only fish with my shumano charter special lever drags in December of each year.  Yet, I buy a few off e-bay and find it difficult to repair 'em.  This forum is exactly what I needed long ago.  http://www.joytbkiptopekecows.blogspot.com introduces me and where I am in fishing for December striped bass in the Chesapeake Bay.  I have several sizes and brands of lever drag reels, but the Shumano charter special 2000 ld is my favorite.

My problem to be solved that I didn't see in the tutorial is how to disassemble the drag gear assembly.  Shumano has the gear on "out of stock".  Looks like the clicker was left on for the entire life of the reel and wore both the dog and gear down so much that the sound "isn't".

Also, I didn't quite understand "free spool" seconds?  Yet, "hot rodding" the reel seems like something I would do just for the fun of it.  Yet, my eel drifting with the reel works great.  Largest striped bass to date is 55 pounds 13 ounces on the charter special and no problem at all.  Have until December 1 to get my boat and tackle ready for the season. 

Hope there's an answer to my drag gear question.

Fishy76

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D