I need a faster retrieve for my 9/0

Started by John E Powell, July 06, 2013, 10:01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Quote from: noyb72 on July 07, 2013, 08:05:29 AM
So, do we need to tell Scott at pennparts that he is wrong, the sight says the gears are the same.

Ron
Black Pearl needed the gears from the 9/0, I didn't have any, so I decided to take my only 9/0 apart. While I was at it, I also decided  to check if the 13-114 pinion would work with the main gear, instead of the 13-115.
The reel did just fine, so Scott has it right the 13-114 will work on the 9/0.
I took some measurements between the two and didn't notice any difference.
Sal

Alan, I will ship the gears to you in the morning.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Black Pearl

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 10, 2013, 12:06:21 AM
Quote from: noyb72 on July 07, 2013, 08:05:29 AM
So, do we need to tell Scott at pennparts that he is wrong, the sight says the gears are the same.

Ron
Black Pearl needed the gears from the 9/0, I didn't have any, so I decided to take my only 9/0 apart. While I was at it, I also decided  to check if the 13-114 pinion would work with the main gear, instead of the 13-115.
The reel did just fine, so Scott has it right the 13-114 will work on the 9/0.
I took some measurements between the two and didn't notice any difference.
Sal

Alan, I will ship the gears to you in the morning.
Sal,
So, my new 114H gear set will work on 115L, there will be no reason to make a new set for 115L.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Black Pearl on July 10, 2013, 01:03:13 AM

So, my new 114H gear set will work on 115L, there will be no reason to make a new set for 115L.
That's what got me confused earlier, I was thinking 13-114H.
No, the 114H gear set will not work in the 115L.
We are talking about the 13-114 not 13-114H. The 13-114H is smaller in diameter than the 13-114.
We still need the pinion for the 115L.
I will send you the set tomorrow.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

What!?
You only have one 9/0 Sal? I find this hard to believe. I hope its the one with the Accurate Frame.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

;D
yes, I only have one and it is the one with the Accurate frame. ;)
Don't ask me how many 114H's I have ;D.

Shark Hunter

If its more than 5, you got me beat. Thats how many 9's I have.
So, did you guys solve Mr Powells problem or not?
It sure seemed like a lot of high-tech talk for this Hillbilly. ::)
Life is Good!

Ron Jones

So, so we can be clear:

The 114H and the 9/0 use the same main gear and the 114 and the 9/0 share the same pinion. So, Alan's gears won't work in the 9/0 but all Alan should need to do is make a new pinion for the 9/0 and use his high speed 114H main. Clear as mud?

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Ron Jones

I'm glad you understood it, I was asking if I was rite!

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

John E Powell

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 09, 2013, 04:36:20 PM
May I ask what is the spool diameter of the Okuma 553LS? the 9/0 is 4 inches.

I don't have a CLR-553LS handy to provide you with the spool diameter or the handle length, but from the Okuma website, the 553's gear ratio is 6.2:1 and the retrieve is 53" per handle turn. This means the spool diameter would be equal to:

Spool Diameter = square root of ((4 x retrieve rate) / (3.14 x gear ratio))
Spool Diameter = square root of ((4 x 53") / (3.14 x 6.2))
Spool Diameter = square root of (212 / 19.468)
Spool Diameter = square root of 10.8897
Spool Diameter = 3.3"

Jimmer

What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Alto Mare

John E Powell

Quote from: Jimmer on July 10, 2013, 04:56:11 PM
Just measured one - 2.67"dia.

Hmm, I'm pretty sure my math is right, I wonder if the 53" retrieve posted on the website is a misprint? It does seem like a lot of line for a reel with just 2.67" spool diameter.