making a 505 into a 500.

Started by jigmaster501, July 07, 2013, 10:46:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jigmaster501

I was thinking about this for awhile when I put a 500 spool into the pinion of a squidder last night and it fit.

If someone were to have a 505 and replace the spool spindle with a full size squidder spool spindle and replace the gears with 500 gears, would you then have a ball bearing jigmaster without the negative attributes of the spool spindle shredding?

I was thinking the same thing could be done with a 506 and a squidder jr spool spindle.

Did I reinvent the wheel or was I just dreaming too much last night?

Thanks.

Alto Mare

Would be nice, too bad the diameter of the spools don't match :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

jigmaster501

If we left the same spools and just changed the spindles, wouldn't we avoid that problem?

Alto Mare

I don't fully understand what you're trying to do, first off, keep the Squidder away from the Jigmasters, they don't match.
If I read you correctly, you're trying to have a Jigmaster 500 with bearings instead of bushings. You already have that option with the 505/506. If an additional 3/4 of a turn per crank is too much for you (4:1 vs 4.75:1) you could replace the 505/506 gears with the Jigmaster 500 gears. The pinion would be a little loose but will work, if fish it where it's intended to be fished at, I wouldn't worry about damaging the pinion.
This is the easiest solution. Another option would be to find Accurate plates.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.