rubbing noise in hx 4.2

Started by gonefishing100, July 08, 2013, 03:32:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gonefishing100

I serviced ny reel and now it makes a rubbing noise as if it bumps against simething as I turn the handle, and it is not constant only once per handle turn. Also there is a circular wear scratch on drag plate facing the gearing side. What could be the problem, I imagine its a simple fix. Oh, also the noise goes away when the reel is set to only a few ounces of drag.

alantani

the avet it a pull system.  with the reel in free, do you get this noise when the spool turns or when the handle turns. 

if it's the spool and it goes away when the reel is in gear, then it is probably something on the left side because the spool is being pulled away from the left, towards the right

if you get this noise when the handle turns, then the rate is important.  a rub that occurs four times per handle crank in a 4:1 gear ratio reel is the pinion gear or the spool.  if you get this rub once per handle crank, then it is somewhere between the handle grip and the main gear.  it might be the main gear rubbing against the right main side plate bearing, but that bearing would have enough clearance once properly seated. 

so crank the handle in free, with a light drag, and with full drag and let's see. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

gonefishing100

The noise is not made in frees pool or light drag. Only at fishable drag settings and the noise is made about four times per handle turn.

alantani

a spool rub?  possibly a bent spool shaft? 

gonefishing100

The thing is that it did not make the noise before i took it apart and the shaft looks fine.

alantani

try reversing the shaft by 180 degrees.  hey, it might work!   ;D

gonefishing100

What do you mean by that? Btw, this happened once before and went away after spme lubing but I. am not sure if it is related or if I did something different putting it together, cause that did not work this time.

alantani

oh, got it!  so the spool is being pulled over too far to the right and it is rubbing against something.  is that correct?  any idea what it is rubbing against?  one possibility might be to find out what it is and knock it down with a few strokes of a file. 

gonefishing100

I'm not sure what it could be bbing aginst any ideas? oh and i just realized that the spool makes a slight clicking in freespol that goes away at lower presets around a few ounces of drag.

alantani

something is making that mark on the drag pressure plate.  gotta figure out what it is. 

gonefishing100

I think it might be the antireverse housing. any ideas why this problem would start now the reel is pver a year old? I did send it to avet for a bearing change not to long ago.

alantani

gotta figure out what is rubbing against what..... 

gonefishing100

I think the rubbing comes from the left side because it only makes the noise while the whole assembly is in the frame.

gonefishing100

Engaging and disengaging the clicker fixed it. Thanks for the help though.