How to put clip on click dog?

Started by fishy76, July 08, 2013, 01:51:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishy76

Hi Alan,

Tried to post earlier, but it got lost somewhere.  Thought to introduce myself with my blog http://www.joytbkipeopekecows.blogspot.com but the post never showed up.  As you can see, my salt fishing is in December near the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, CBBT.  While I have some other brand reels, lever drag, I'm trying to have only one type so there are fewer complications with guests on my boat. 

First question involves getting the clip back on the click button.  Is there a trick or means to get it done for a senior?

An e-bay reel purchased turned to be vintage without the drag ring or blue drag weights.  Is it practical to update the reel?  It was in really bad shape, but bearings, etc. were OK.  For now, I'm using it for parts in other 2000s.  Oh, it's a 3 bearing reel. 

I asked in an earlier post about the free spool time.  Didn't understand what this meant.  Can you enlighten me?

When I deploy my planers, I want the reel to release line, but not free spool for a back lash.  Taking the lever off free spool is difficult to control how the line pulls out.  Need to work with other rods to get them in the water as near simultaneously as possible.  My pardner works the opposite side of the boat for the same purpose.  Usually try for 6 to 9 rods.  Is my problem self imposed, or do other have a solution?

Another issue is that the strike drag changes with temperature.  I set it indoors as it's cold outside in December.  I was relubing the 2000 when I read about problems with grease freeze.  I have Abu Garcia silicote, Aroent reel butter, and another red grease I lost the name of.  The later had all kinds of claims.  I haven't greased the drag washer, but bought several smooth drag carbon type drag washers.  All this started as one reel, not identified, started the go stop thing.  I wasn't on the boat the day it happened and was left wondering about the 9 reels on the boat that day.  The striped bass run between 34 and 55 pounds and the I set the drag at 5-8 pounds.  Means that the initial run is pronounced and can be about 5 minutes.  Don't like to increase the drag as I don't want the hook to pull for a break off.  These are big fish in my estimation and are often over 50 inches long.  Schoolies don't do eels!  So, what's your take on the temperature affect on drag?  Would drag grease help?  Or, would the smooth drag change this?

Guess too many questions.  Too bad I had to learn so much on my own before I found your site.  Thanks for a great tutorial.

Fishy76  (AKA joytbrew)

jonathan.han

Fully seat the clicker button. You can use a pair of pliers or get the opening of the clip on the recess of the clicker button, then push it with a flat screwdriver to secure it. It is a precarious method either way. Many have come up with tools to reattach the clips, but all in all, they are generally annoying as well.

Greased drags will work better than non-greased drags since salt build-up will not occur on greased drags. The grease (Cal's drag grease), will also ensure you have the buttery drags we all want for all fishing. The change in drag settings will occur due to expansion and contraction rates of different materials at various ambient air temperatures. Also, when you start fighting fish, the drag will heat up due to friction; just like constant use of brakes going downhill in a vehicle. As it heats, it will slip or vary in drag tension, however, it may not be noticeable in your case. You should always set your drag for the day you are fishing for this reason. Many do it at home beforehand, but in your case, the temperature change is dramatically different. The drag setting you are running is not that high when compared to offshore reels, so I would switch to the carbon fiber, grease them with Cal's, set your drag after the reels have been exposed to the colder air temp., and use the greases/oils/lubes outlined on this website (i.e. Yamaha/Evinrude/Merc marine grease, Corrosion-X, and TSI).

As for grease freeze, it isn't necessarily the grease freezing. There is going to be condensation from water molecules in the air and that is what is freezing on your drag surface. Here in California, that doesn't exist unless you're up in the Sierras ice fishing.

The drag settings must be set according to the ambient air temp. of where you are fishing. Room temperature (70 *F) and near freezing air temps will deliver a huge difference in drag tension.

raw instinct