maui guys, can you help a local kid?

Started by alantani, July 08, 2013, 04:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

there is a 13 year old kid that lives here.  his name is andrew.  i am trying to get him set up for beach fishing when he and his family go to maui for a vacation.  he will be fishing at the airport beach, by the westin kannapali villas.  can any of you give me an idea of what line test he will need and where he can go for some help with local fishing?  we went through his reels already. we will be heading over to the fisherman's warehouse this afternoon to pick out a pair of rods.  any help regarding line weight would be appreciated.  also a local tackle store that can help with terminal tackle would be great. 

thanks!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Whipping or jigging, I would recommend 6-12# test line with equivalent leaders are fine.  A bass set-up will do, and the longer the rod the better for distance.  Carolina rig with whatever weight the rod is recommended, but for distance, would recommend 1 oz or so.  Also bobbers in the same weight range is good.  Those plastic bobbers that you can fill water to adjust the weight are good choices.  Next thing are grubs.  1 in. works best for me.  clear with glitter, bright red, white, root beer,...works great.  I need to see the hook size.  I'm not versed on sizes. Sorry.

For dunking (still bait fishing), a rod 9-10 feet is sufficient, but of course, the longer the better.  15-20# main with equivalent leader.  Circle hooks are best for this application and 3-way swivels.  similar to surf rigs here.  Weight should be 1-3 oz.  Bait, is tako, squid, shrimp, or small fish that he catches with his whipping rig.  maybe Gamakatsu 1/0, 3/0 and 5/0 circle hooks.  If fishing rocky areas, lead line is 2-4 feet with leader 1 foot or so.  If sandy, reverse.  leader is 2-4 feet and lead line is about 1 foot.  He will need a sand spike to hold is rod while the bait is soaking, and a bell is helpful.  Lead line should be about 1/2 the strength as the main and leader line.

I'll get back to you regarding supply stores.  I'll ask.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bryan Young

All About Fish Maui, 3600 Lower Honoapiilani Road, Lahaina, Hawaii 96761.  Phone (808) 669-1710
Email allaboutfishmaui@gmail.com
Website http://mauifish.net

West Maui fishing in Lahaina as well.

Longs Drugs for tackle (not info).
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D