striped side plate screw PG 251

Started by luckylogger6, July 09, 2013, 06:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luckylogger6

Well after many years of service I stripped out the small screw that holds the right side plate in to the frame.  I was going to drill it out and cut new threads but I don't think there is enough "meat" on the small frame bar.  Any ideas?  Maybe epoxy (jb weld) a stud in and use a nut on the outside of the side plate?  I need some ideas as Im not ready to retire this one.  Thanks

Bryan Young

If you look into the screw hole and if there are ridges, I would cup a thin piece of aluminum (from a soda can) about 2-3 mm wide and slide it in the hole can it to length.  Then try screwing in the screw without the side plate and see if it holds.  You don't need much force with the PG screws due to the way the sideplate sits in the frame.  If it works, grease screws and you'll be good to go.  If not, try another length of aluminum in the hole.

If the hole is completely stripped out, you may want to try a slightly larger screw and tap it.

Do you have a PG 251 with clicker or without, and what color?   I may be have some spare parts.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

luckylogger6

Thanks for the Idea.  It's an original non clicker reel.  I picked it up around 1998 as a high school kid working at Cope and Mcpheters in Santa Clara (maybe you knew the shop?).  As it's already a Frankenstein reel with a purple spool and a gunmetal frame, so color is unimportant to me.

Bryan Young

I remember Cope and Mcpheters  in Santa Clara.  They used to have a lot of ski and fish/ski boats on the lot.

If it was a clicker model, I definitely have a new frame.  Was hopping.

Let me know if it works.  I'll see if I'd be willing to give up my frame.  I'm trying to see if I can convert my non-clicker spool to one with a clicker.

BTW, I'm in Campbell.:)
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

i've found that copper strips work better than aluminum.  i have a few.  and i even have a few leaf-style penn dog springs made out of stainless steel from keta that might work. are you local?  if so, swing by the house sometime and we will figure this out. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

luckylogger6

I "kinda" fixed it.  The screws that came in the reel were about 4 threads shorter than the holes, so I bought a longer screw and cut it to come tight just as it bottoms out in the frame.  It seems to be holding for now but Im a little nervous as there are only 3.5-4 threads holding it all together.

Im no longer in the bay area, I live up near Redding.  I will be down there the beginning of next month on my way to San Diego for a 5-day trip.  Im planning to fish this real as my main 30lb bait rig.