Saltist 4500 Spinning ?

Started by haydenfox!#$, July 09, 2013, 08:45:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haydenfox!#$

I have a Saltist 4500 that started making a clicking noise while retrieving line. It actually started today while I was reeling in a fish, and now it does it all the time, fish or not. It doesn't feel like its picking up line while under load. Kinda sounds like drag going out, only louder. Any ideas?

alantani

uggghhhh, spinners!  scrape......, scrape....., scrape......., right?  the rotor is hitting something (ok, total revalation, i know), and usually it's the spool.  the box usually comes with shim washers that you can place on the spool shaft immediately under the spool to adjust the lay of the line.  adding one might help, as long as it does not mess up the way the line lays down on the spool too much.  otherwise, paint some grease on the rotor, then reassemble the reel and crank it a few times, then take it apart and see if you can find the rub mark.  it's a messy process, but sometimes it's the only way.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

haydenfox!#$

Quote from: alantani on July 09, 2013, 08:58:06 PM
uggghhhh, spinners!  scrape......, scrape....., scrape......., right?  the rotor is hitting something (ok, total revalation, i know), and usually it's the spool.  the box usually comes with shim washers that you can place on the spool shaft immediately under the spool to adjust the lay of the line.  adding one might help, as long as it does not mess up the way the line lays down on the spool too much.  otherwise, paint some grease on the rotor, then reassemble the reel and crank it a few times, then take it apart and see if you can find the rub mark.  it's a messy process, but sometimes it's the only way.   :-\

Thanks, I'll try that. It's not really scraping more than it's actually clicking. A loud click. Sounds like a clicker on a conventional or something. It wasn't doing it, and then just all of the sudden...

haydenfox!#$

@Alan, I read a thread on 360tuna about these reels having bad roller clutches. Could it be that?

exp2000

There is a backup AR dog suspended from a gate in the housing above and behind the pinion. Sometimes this can skate on the AR cog. Check that it is free to move and there are no mass manufacturing defects such as pressing lips that might cause it to jam on the gateway. Also check that the actuating spring lever from the main gear slots properly in the dog lever.