Pro gear reels worthwhile?

Started by stradly1, July 10, 2013, 03:40:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stradly1

I was considering buying another Pro gear reel. My main stopping point being that the company is out of business(as everyone on this forum knows) and parts are scarce. Would it be worth buying another one or just getting a reel from a company that is still in business. The reel I am considering is a Wahoo special.

Ron Jones

I look at Pro Gears as super Tiburon frame and spools. As long as the model can use Penn guts then their construction makes them bullet proof. I don't believe any weren't directly based on Penn innards, but if their were I would be concerned about parts.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bryan Young

Parts for the wahoo special but if you take care of your reels, I would last a life time.

Personally, you may want to consider a 454. It's about the same size except 4:1 vs 5:1 gearing.

On the other hand, there are enough out there that you could buy one or two as back up or parts reels.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

redsetta

Quote...but if you take care of your reels, it would last a life time.
x2. I love Pro Gears - they were ahead of their time.
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

stradly1

I own a 454(65 lbs braid) and a Albacore Special(mono is ridiculous for this reel). The reason I would like to use the 461 is because of line capacity. I love the Pro gear reels! I live in NJ and I am getting ready for a Canyon trip. Unfortunately, I grew up in SoCal and my dream was/is to go on a Long Range trip someday(due to family, I might have to give up on my dream). My gear is designed around braided line. The captains around here only allow mono line, so need line capacity. I have a Newell 533 5.5(50 lbs mono) but I would like a stronger reel plus a reel that I can use not just for around here. I already have the 50's, 30's, 16vsx, mk15 and they are already have braid. It seems like the 461 would be an ideal compliment. A Penn Baja Special seems like the obvious choice but I feel they are overpriced.

Bryan Young

It's an awesome reel.  This reel is spring loaded double dogged and has a 5:1 gear ratio.  Awesome reels.  It's worth it, but I think they have similar line capacities to the 454.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ron Jones

Like I said, i apreciate the strength, but I am not certain their is a significant advantage to a fully tanked 113HLW or narrow 114H wich might end up cheaper.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"